Spring rolls with phyllo dough are a must-have Chinese appetizer. Let’s see the original recipe, some variations and how to prepare the sauce!
The spring rolls are crunchy rolls that are served as an appetizer, typical of Oriental cuisine but very popular in Italy, and which remain impressed by their delicious phyllo dough (or wonton dough) shell. Traditionally they were consumed on the occasion of the Chinese New Year , which is celebrated in Spring (hence their name), but today they are definitely known all over the world.
In the filling of today’s recipe we have included some slices of pork (or, alternatively, shrimp ) but you can also put both. We will also see how to make vegetarian rolls, in the oven and how to make the sauce!
Let’s get started right away!
Preparation of spring rolls
- It starts with the vegetable filling. If you have a wok, use that: its shape is ideal for properly sautéing vegetables. If not, a normal saucepan can also work. Heat a tablespoon of oil, then add, in this order, the grated carrots, the bamboo in thin strips, the julienne cabbage and the bean sprouts. The vegetables should remain crunchy , so sauté them only for a few minutes.
- Put a pot of water to boil and, when it boils, turn off the heat and throw in the rice noodles .
- Leave them in the pot for two minutes, then drain and add them to the wok, along with oyster sauce, soy sauce, a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper.
- At this point, add the pork or shrimp, if desired. Sauté for another two minutes, then remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Take a sheet of rectangular phyllo dough. The main difficulty of this recipe lies in the management of this pasta, which tends to break and dry quickly. Keep the sheets you are not using in their plastic bag or covered with a damp cloth . By overlapping several layers of dough, it will be easier to manage and the dough will be nice and crunchy. If you want you could brush between one layer and the other with oil to make them even more crunchy.
- Fold each sheet in half and then in half again.
- Apply a light layer of beaten egg and place a large strip of filling diagonally.
- Fold the first corner, the one closest to the filling, so that it covers it. Then take the two opposite corners still stretched out and fold them towards the center.
- Finally, roll to the last corner.
- Again apply the beaten egg over the entire surface. Repeat for each roll.
- In a separate pot, heat two fingers of oil, enough to cover the rolls.
- Wait for it to start sizzling, then cook two rolls at a time. It only takes a couple of minutes: when the color becomes golden you can remove them.
- Put them on absorbent paper to drain … and enjoy your meal!
Baked spring rolls: the light variant
If you are attentive to the line, you can also bake them in the oven. Take the egg-brushed rolls and place them in a pan. Bake in a preheated convection oven at 200 ° C for about 15 minutes .
They should be served hot, with sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce or hot sauce . Enjoy your meal!
For a delicious “local” alternative, try the Italian spring rolls !
Vegetarian spring rolls
If you love this dish but want a version without meat, the preparation will vary only in the choice of ingredients, while the rest will be the same. We recommend to use carrots, zucchini, cabbage and bean sprouts, simply by adding ginger, a little ‘soy and obviously the phyllo dough to close them.
Spring Roll Sauce
Let’s be clear, to enjoy these rolls just fill a small bowl with soy sauce and you will see that they will be delicious . However, if you want to try the original sweet and sour sauce for spring rolls, then we explain how to prepare it !
Ingredients for the sauce
- 8 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons of water
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Take the water and melt the cornstarch in it , then pour the tomato, sugar and vinegar into a saucepan.
- Start cooking at a low temperature and then add the cornstarch with the water.
- Let the sauce thicken, always beating with a whisk, and after 10 minutes it will be ready ! If you want you can also stain it with a teaspoon of soy!
The rolls, being fried, must be enjoyed at the moment when they are still hot inside and crunchy outside. We do not recommend keeping them more than a few hours since, over time, they will become less and less crunchy and palatable and much more soft and uninviting.