The chestnut risotto contains all the aromas and flavors of autumn. Here’s how we prepare it with a simple but tasty recipe.
Among the autumn first courses there is one that is truly perfect for all occasions, from the most formal to the most convivial: chestnut risotto. In its simplest version, creamed with just a little butter and Parmesan, or in a richer version with gorgonzola, mascarpone or roquefort, it is truly delicious.
As always you will have to use all the precautions of a risotto to prepare it: add broth little by little , choose a good rice and finally never lose sight of it. You will see that rice with chestnuts is not very different from other recipes of this type!
How to prepare the recipe for risotto with chestnuts
- First make sure you have cooked chestnuts. They are already read in the supermarket but alternatively you can prepare them yourself. Remove the peel with a small knife and boil them in lightly salted water for 40 minutes . At this point, remove the skin – it should be easy – and your boiled chestnuts are ready to be used.
- Finely chop the onion and brown it in extra virgin olive oil adding a pinch of salt .
- Add the rice and toast it for a couple of minutes before starting the actual cooking.
- Cover it flush with the boiling edge and as soon as it starts to boil, adjust the flame so that it just simmers.
- About halfway through cooking (depending on the variety of rice it will take from 16 to 20 minutes), add the coarsely chopped chestnuts with a knife.
- When cooked, off the heat, stir in the butter and Parmesan and serve.
Alternatively, you can whisk with 60 g of cheese to taste . The ones mentioned above are excellent: gorgonzola, mascarpone and roquefort. In addition, we recommend that you take a look at our quick first courses : you will find other tasty ideas!
Risotto with chestnuts, like all risottos, should be eaten at the moment. If you have any leftovers, you can store it in the refrigerator , in an airtight container, and reheat it in a pan or microwave before consuming.