The seafood salad is a fresh, rich and perfect dish to bring to the table both as an appetizer and as a single dish.
Today we discover the recipe for seafood salad, a dish that we are often used to buying ready-made, but which homemade is something else entirely! To begin with, here is the first rule: there are no rules! In fact, you can prepare a salad with many different ingredients, starting with the fish, which you can assemble as you like. There are those who prefer only octopus and prawns, those who cannot do without mussels and clams, and those who still do not want to give up some crunchy vegetables , such as celery, peppers or even carrots.
We offer you a basic recipe and conclude with some ideas for other variations. What are we waiting for? Let’s get started: here are the ingredients for the seafood salad and how to prepare it!
Preparation of the cold seafood salad
- First of all, take care of the cleaning of the fish. Take the squid and remove the entrails, the skin of the sacs and the eyes. Do the same with the octopus, emptying the bags and removing the outer skin.
- At this point, move on to cooking: for the octopus you will have to boil it in water for about 35-40 minutes, while for the squid it will only take 15 minutes .
- As for the mussels and clams, if you bought them fresh, clean them by brushing them well and removing all the external beard, then open them in a pan, flavoring with a clove of garlic, a little pepper and a drop of oil. As soon as they open, turn off the flame, eliminating any that have remained closed. A tip: do not throw away the water, which will have preserved all the flavor, but filter it to eliminate any residual sand!
- You just have to clean and boil the shrimp for a few minutes, and finally you will have everything you need to compose the dish.
- Cut squid and octopus into small pieces, mix them with the mussels, clams and shrimps. Add a tablespoon of liquid from the mussels, lemon juice, a clove of garlic, oil and finally the chopped parsley. Finish your fish salad with a nice sprinkling of pepper and leave the salad to rest in the fridge for a few hours, until it is nice and fresh.
How about trying all our light summer recipes too ?
How to dress the seafood salad: ideas and variations
There are many ways to create a recipe for a cold, original and imaginative seafood appetizer. In addition to the ingredients we have recommended, you can enrich the salad with other seafood or fish, starting with surimi, other shellfish to taste or with scampi.
If, on the other hand, you want a more colorful dish, you can also add peppers cut into thin strips in the preparation, or even celery or Taggiasca olives, which will also give an exquisite flavor within your reach. You can also add half a red onion and, if necessary, a few tomatoes cut and just passed on the pan to dry. Finally, a very good variant even if enjoyed hot: the seafood salad with potatoes! Let them blanch and then cut them into small squares. Add them to your plate and that’s it!
Not only that, the hot seafood salad can also be prepared with the same ingredients as the classic seafood salad, however the secret is to dress it and bring it to the table still hot or warm and, in this case, it is also fine as a main course. of fish.
Finally, for those who love to distinguish flavors well, you can go to the minimal and use fewer ingredients. In short, there are no rules. Experiment and give life to the dish of your dreams that goes well in the section of Christmas appetizers . Enjoy your meal!
The perfect seafood salad dressing
If you want a real burst of flavor, then your best bet is to make a lemon emulsion to dress your salad .
- Take a lemon and make the juice out of it. Add a minced clove of garlic (without core), salt, pepper, parsley and about 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Now beat everything with a fork : you will have to emulsify the sauce, mixing all the components well.
- Pour the sauce over the salad, and enjoy your meal!
If you liked it, also try all our recipes with octopus !
Now that you understand how to prepare the seafood salad, you just have to keep it carefully in case it does not end at the first meal. This mixed seafood salad can be kept for a maximum of 1-2 days in the refrigerator, in a container with an airtight lid. Fish cooked but not seasoned can be frozen in the freezer if it is fresh .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...