Champurrado is one of the best known Mexican sweets and is nothing more than a kind of hot chocolate prepared with white corn flour.
There are not many Mexican desserts that can boast of having conquered even the Italian palate, but among these it is impossible not to mention the champurrado. This sort of Mexican hot chocolate, in fact, thanks to its spicy flavor and, obviously, the presence of chocolate, has conquered everyone. Just think that in Mexico they also drink it for breakfast! Alternatively it is excellent as a snack, perhaps accompanied by the classic churros , strictly for dipping.
The peculiarity of this recipe and what makes it different from chocolate as we are used to understanding it, lies in the use of white corn flour . Also known as masa harina, it is the same used for the preparation of tortillas and serves to thicken the preparation. We advise you to abandon any doubts and try it immediately: you will not regret it!
How to prepare champurrado with the original Mexican recipe
- First, put the cinnamon powder and white corn flour in a non-stick pan.
- Toast it over medium heat, stirring often to prevent it from burning, until it has a nice amber color.
- Separately, bring the water to a boil with the cinnamon stick.
- Incorporate the flour, pouring it a little at a time and in the meantime mix with a whisk.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie and add it to the puree.
- As soon as the liquid begins to thicken, pour in the milk , always continuing to mix.
- Sweeten with brown sugar and as soon as it has taken on the characteristic consistency of chocolate, serve it.
The best way to enjoy champurrado is inside ceramic cups and accompany it with churros .
Enjoy the freshly made campurrando and avoid having to resort to conservation or it will tend to lose its characteristic consistency.