The potato roll is an excellent vegetarian recipe to be served as a second course prepared with vegetables and smoked cheese and then baked in the oven.
Potatoes are truly a wild card in the kitchen: everyone likes them in whatever form you decide to bring them to the table, they can be found at any time of the year and allow you to obtain the most disparate dishes. The stuffed potato roll is an example and, even if we wanted to offer you a vegetable filling for this recipe, know that there are really many others.
Our baked potato roll is prepared with aubergines, peppers, courgettes and onions , sautéed and flavored with basil . We also added smoked scamorza to make it tastier and more stringy when cut, but if you are looking for something easier and faster then opt for sliced ham and cheese , you will not regret it. Alternatively, another filling for the potato roll can be that of lean with ricotta and spinach sautéed with butter and garlic. In short, you will have understood that when it comes to potato roll the only limit is the imagination!
How to make the Stuffed Potato Roll recipe
- First boil the potatoes in plenty of lightly salted water. Cooking times vary according to the size of the potatoes but to speed up the preparation we advise you to peel them and cut them into pieces of 3-4 cm. In this way they will be ready in approximately 20 minutes. Test the cooking by piercing them with a fork and making sure that the pulp is yielding.
- Once ready, drain and purée them with a potato masher.
- Let them cool then add the egg , Parmesan , a pinch of salt and one of pepper .
- Transfer the dough to the refrigerator for a couple of hours and in the meantime dedicate yourself to the filling.
- Wash all the vegetables (except the onions that will be peeled) and cut them into pieces of about one centimeter.
- In a frying pan, heat an abundant round of oil and cook the vegetables for 20 minutes , until they are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and season with fresh basil .
- Let the filling cool then add the diced smoked cheese .
- Now all that remains is to assemble everything. Roll out the potato mixture on a sheet of parchment paper until it is one centimeter thick. To do this you can lightly oil your hands or use a kitchen spatula, always oiled.
- Spread the filling over the entire surface, keeping a couple of centimeters from the edges, then roll up.
- Use the parchment paper to close the roll like a candy.
- Bake the stuffed potato roll in the oven at 180 ° C for 30 minutes then let it cool for at least half an hour before serving.
We advise you to also try the classic potato meatloaf and only then decide which of the two favorite recipes. We haven’t been able to figure it out yet!
The potato roll can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, well covered with plastic wrap. You can consume it either at room temperature, or heated slightly in the oven, microwave or pan.