One of the best dishes of the Greek tradition, in a reworking suitable for those who do not consume meat or dairy products: here is the vegan moussaka.
Vegan moussaka is a creamy goodness that uses flavored mashed potatoes instead of minced meat. Instead of the classic béchamel, however, we used soy béchamel, which is very easy to prepare.
Spiced with the classic mix of cinnamon , oregano and nutmeg, this vegan moussaka will be a welcome single dish for the whole family.
Preparation of the vegan moussaka
- To make your vegan moussaka, boil the potatoes in their skins, starting with cold water.
- In the meantime, when the potatoes are cooked, cut the aubergines into slices, with the peel, and then brush them with extra virgin olive oil, placing them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Bake the aubergine slices in the oven at 180 ° C , turning them halfway through cooking, for about 15 minutes.
- Peel the cooked potatoes and then mash them with a potato masher.
- Flavor the puree with nutmeg, dried oregano and a hint of cinnamon, as well as the fine salt of course.
- Thinly slice an onion, brown it in a pan with oil and then pour the tomato sauce and a little salt, and cook in a covered pot for about ten minutes.
- Now take care of the soy béchamel . Heat three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan, then add flour or corn starch and mix everything until you get a homogeneous roux.
- Heat the soy milk and pour it slowly, then stir over low heat, seasoning with salt, making everything thicken.
- Salt the baked aubergines.
- Dirt the pan with a little sauce, then layered the aubergines alternating them with bechamel , mashed potatoes, tomato sauce.
- Complete by covering the surface with the béchamel, then bake at 180 ° C for about 45 minutes.
- Serve your vegan moussaka.
Also try the vegan carbonara
ENJOY YOUR MEAL!
This dish of Greek origins, halfway between a parmigiana and an Italian lasagna, can be kept in the refrigerator for about 2-3 days in a container with an airtight lid. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.