Msemen are Moroccan puffed crepes usually served with butter and honey but also excellent to prepare stuffed.
Traveling with recipes is really beautiful and today, thanks to the internet, this is really simple. In fact, there are many preparations that, although not belonging to our tradition, deserve to be tried and among these there are msemen. Also known as Moroccan puffed crepes , they are actually typical of several countries: Morocco yes, but also Tunisia and Algeria .
The dough is very simple and, although the final result resembles a crepes in all respects , in reality the preparation is very different. They are usually served for breakfast together with the inevitable mint tea, honey and smen , the typical fermented butter. Sometimes msemen are stuffed with sweet or savory fillings: this is possible thanks to the neutral flavor of the preparation. We really liked them very much so here’s what you need to make them with and without Thermomix.
How to make msemen with the original recipe
- Combine the flour , salt and water in a bowl.
- Start kneading first with a spoon then with your hands, transferring the dough to a lightly floured pastry board. Don’t worry if it looks sticky : working it will stop sticking.
- Then form balls, oil them and let them rest under a clean cloth for 30 minutes.
- At this point the most delicate phase of preparation begins. You have to spread these unusual crepes on a smooth and non-stick surface (marble is ideal, wood is not recommended), well oiled or greased. With wet hands, spread the dough a little at a time until it reaches a very thin, almost transparent thickness .
- At this point, fold the two sides towards the center (as if it were a three-fold) then do the same with the upper and lower flaps. The result will be a kind of rectangle.
- Let them rest for about 20 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan and cook the crepes a couple of minutes on each side then serve.
How to prepare msemen with the Thermomix: the recipe
- The part of preparing the msemen with the Thermomix concerns only the dough. Pour the water and salt into the jug and over the flour . Knead for 3 min. speed 4.
- Then recover the dough and proceed as per recipe, forming balls , oil them and let them rest for half an hour under a clean cloth.
- Roll them out one by one on a smooth, well-oiled surface until they are almost transparent.
- Then fold them forming three folds first with the side flaps then with the upper and lower ones.
- Let them rest for another 20 minutes.
- At this point, cook the msemen in a non-stick pan for a couple of minutes on each side.
Be careful and don’t overdo it though: these crepes are very good but in msemen the calories are many, we are talking about about 400 kcal per piece !
Msemen: the recipe for fillings
As mentioned, the most popular way to consume msemen is with fermented butter and honey. However, there is no lack of stuffed versions. The most famous is obtained by cooking minced meat in a pan with chopped onion and spices (usually those typical of North Africa). Once ready and cooled, it should be placed in the center of the freshly spread raw crepes and then proceed to the folds. Cooking remains unchanged.
To make vegetarian msemen, on the other hand, you can cook vegetables as you like (we recommend peppers, onions, courgettes and aubergines) cut into julienne strips with oil and spices. Once tender and cold, season with salt and use everything as a filling. They are really good!
The msemen can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days , well covered with film. We advise you to consume them after heating them in a pan or in the microwave for a few minutes.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Hairstyles for 18 years: some ideas to draw inspiration from
Some nice and quick ideas for the easiest and most beautiful 18 year old hairstyles to wear. Coming of age...
Tiramisu without mascarpone: if you haven’t tasted it yet, you are in time to fix it
The recipe for tiramisu without mascarpone is an alternative to the more classic spoon dessert, here's how to prepare it!...
Shorts know no age and can be worn without worries even at 50
Like love, shorts have no age and are worn even at 50, focusing on the right models. Who said that...
Tasty pumpkin and speck pasta: the first dish of autumn
Do you want delicious first courses? Pasta with pumpkin and speck is the one for you! Here's how to prepare...
Sarcopenia, what it is: symptoms and treatment of the disease
What is sarcopenia? Pathology involving the muscular system, involves a gradual loss of autonomy: symptoms and causes. Sarcopenia is a...
Health1 week ago
Nervous breakdown: how to recognize it and what to do
Fashion1 week ago
Wedding shoes like sparkling: here are the inspo and low cost jewel models
Fashion1 week ago
Ode to the maxi dress of summer 2022, a mix and match of elegance and comfort
Beauty1 week ago
Lip contour: what are the most effective creams and serums?