Pho is a Vietnamese soup made from meat broth, rice noodles and many other flavors. Here is the original recipe to prepare it!
Pho is a Vietnamese soup usually eaten for breakfast or during festive lunches. Being a typical dish, it is really difficult to code the recipe: each family has its own technique to prepare it as well as its own blend of spices. In fact, however, the Vietnamese pho consists of three elements: the meat broth , the rice noodles and the vegetable “side”.
The preparation is divided into two phases: the first is the preparation of the broth that must cook for a long time so as to absorb all the flavors of the meat (usually beef, rarely chicken) and of the aromas (cinnamon, star anise, ginger, onion, black cardamom , coriander, fennel seeds and cloves). The latter are infused into the broth through a special bag but first we proceed with the toasting of the spices in a pan and, sometimes, roasting ginger and onion.
In the preparation of pho there are also some aromas that just cannot be missing. We are talking about Thai basil , chilli , coriander and lime . The soup, served in large bowls and consumed with the characteristic chopsticks, is assembled by the diners according to their taste by adding not only the aforementioned aromas but also bean sprouts, fish sauce and lime . So let’s see how this delicious Vietnamese recipe is prepared.
How to make the Vietnamese pho recipe
- First, toast the onions and ginger in a grill pan, directly on the flame or in the oven with the grill mode. It will take approximately 10-15 minutes for them to turn black.
- Peel them and keep them aside.
- Put the bones in a large pot and cover them with cold water.
- Bring to a boil for 3 minutes then drain and remove all the water.
- Cover them again with water (about 5 liters) and start the actual cooking.
- Add the onions , ginger , garlic , fish sauce , sugar and meat to the broth .
- Gather the spices in a small cloth or gauze bag, close it tightly and put it in the pot.
- Cook for 2 hours on low heat, so that it just boils.
- Then filter the broth before using it.
- Rehydrate the rice noodles as indicated on the package (keep in mind that usually they should not be boiled but covered only with boiling water).
- Distribute the spaghetti in the bowls and also place the slices of carpaccio . They must be very subtle.
- Cover with the broth and bring the bowls to the table, placing the bean sprouts, sliced lime, fish sauce, Thai basil, chilli and coriander on a separate plate . Each diner will complete the Vietnamese soup according to their tastes.
What do you think of this dip in Vietnamese cuisine? We were really pleasantly surprised and we can’t wait to prepare other recipes!
The pho, once distributed in the bowls, can no longer be stored. The separate ingredients, on the other hand, can be kept for quite a long time. Just keep the broth in the refrigerator to have hot soup available for a week.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...