You can prepare fried Sicilian cartocci, following the original recipe, or in the oven for a light variant.
Here we go again, another Sicilian dessert with ricotta and chocolate . But in the end you know, you don’t change a winning team and when it comes to the filling of Sicilian cones, there is really nothing better. The cartocci with ricotta are among the best typical products ever. Made up of a wrapper of fried brioche dough , they are filled at the moment and enjoyed for breakfast.
Although they are widespread throughout Sicily, they are originally from Palermo so if you want to taste real fried cartocci this is where you will have to go. Alternatively you can follow our recipe of Sicilian cones by trying your hand at their preparation directly at your home. Do not worry, it is an easy recipe that will give you great satisfaction a bit like all fried desserts after all.
How to make Sicilian cartocci
- First, drain the ricotta in a colander directly in the refrigerator. It must be dry when you go to use it.
- Prepare the dough by mixing the flours , 50 grams of sugar , a pinch of salt and the butter in a bowl.
- Separately, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and add it slowly to the flour, kneading first with a spoon and then by hand.
- Add the egg and finish working the dough on a pastry board until it is smooth and homogeneous.
- Transfer it to a bowl, cover it with cling film and let it rise in the oven with the light on for a couple of hours or until doubled.
- Then remove portions of the dough and form cords of half a centimeter in diameter.
- Roll them around the well-buttered tubulars , sealing the closing point and the starting point.
- Leave to rise on the oiled dripping pan for an hour, covering them with cling film.
- Fry the parcels in oil at 180 ° C a few at a time. They are ready when they are uniformly golden.
- Drain and pass them on absorbent paper first and in sugar to decorate then.
- Prepare the cream by mixing the sifted ricotta , the remaining 150 grams of sugar , the cinnamon and the chocolate chips .
- Transfer it to a pastry bag with a large nozzle and stuff just before serving.
You will notice that this recipe has similarities with another typical of the island, the Sicilian cannoli . In fact, the filling is more or less the same and the difference is all in the wrapping. Furthermore, you can prepare Sicilian cartocci with custard, a variant that is a bit blasphemous at home but very popular in the rest of Italy.
If, on the other hand, you are looking for something lighter , try the Sicilian baked cones. Bake them, after the second leavening, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 180 ° C for 15-20 minutes . Stuff them when cold and then sprinkle them with icing sugar.
You can keep the foils and the filling cream separately . The first in a paper bag for a couple of days and the cream in the refrigerator for the same time.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Second hand for Christmas gifts? From abroad, the trend that Gen Z likes
Economical and sustainable, the second hand could be the new solution for Christmas gifts. The relationship of consumers and the...
Christmas broccoli: the traditional recipe for holidays
The recipe for Christmas broccoli, an air of celebration on the tables of Christmas Eve or lunch on December 25th....
Catawiki launches the “House of Gucci” auction to tell the story of the maison
To warm the wait for House of Gucci, the history, objects and collections of the house are up for auction...
Have you ever heard of lemon salad?
If you are looking for a light side dish to accompany your richer main courses, the lemon salad is the...
Wheat: why it forms and how to fix it
The wheal is an allergic type manifestation typical of urticaria. Find out how it comes, what it depends on and...