Heidi’s sandwiches are morsels with a dark crust and a soft and fragrant interior, perfect to be accompanied with cheese.
We don’t know about you, but we grew up watching Heidi cartoons . Of course, nothing to do with the graphic details of those seen today, but the story was still able to excite us. Today, looking at it with adult eyes (but not too much) we found Heidi’s sandwiches, the ones that her grandmother used to prepare for her before going to the pastures with Peter.
The characteristic of these sandwiches is that once the dough has been prepared, it is formed into a sandwich and then boiled in water and bicarbonate, a bit like it is usual to do with pretzels. The result is a dark-colored crust and a soft and fragrant dough, perfect to be stuffed perhaps with cheese, like the little girl did. Let’s see together Heidi’s sandwiches recipe with and without Thermomix.
How to make Heidi’s sandwiches with the original recipe
- First, prepare a kind of leaven by mixing 150 g of flour taken from the total, water , honey and fresh yeast .
- Let it rest for an hour covered with cling film.
- Stir in the remaining flour , soft butter and salt and knead vigorously by hand until all the ingredients are combined.
- Let rise, always covered with cling film, for an hour.
- Then form sandwiches of 100 g each, rounding them well with your hands.
- Let rise well spaced, covered with a cloth, for 30 minutes.
- Then bring a saucepan with 1.5 liters of water and the baking soda to the boil .
- Dip the sandwiches, a few at a time (maximum 2-3), and leave them for 30 seconds , turning them often.
- Drain them with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Once dry, engrave them with two parallel cuts.
- Bake the sandwiches at 200 ° C for 20 minutes and serve warm or cold.
How to prepare Heidi’s sandwiches with the Thermomix
- Put 150 g of flour , 270 ml of water , honey and yeast in the jug: 40 sec. speed 4.
- Let it rest for an hour.
- Add the remaining flour , soft butter and salt : 5 min. speed Ear.
- Finish working the dough on a pastry board, forming a loaf, and let it rise covered with plastic wrap for an hour.
- Then prepare the sandwiches weighing 100 g each and leave them to rise for 30 minutes covered with a clean cloth.
- Then immerse them for 30 seconds in boiling water and bicarbonate.
- Drain and once dry cut them with two cuts before baking at 200 ° C for 20 minutes.
Also try the pretzel sandwiches : they are a real treat!
Heidi’s sandwiches can be stored in a paper bag for a couple of days. It is also possible to freeze them , as soon as they have cooled, and if necessary simply let them thaw at room temperature.