It happens to have yellow nails (hands and feet), but what are the causes? Let’s find out together and also see what are the most effective remedies.
Sometimes it happens, for example after removing the nail polish, to find yellow and damaged nails . The cause is often the enamel itself, but not always: their color is actually a warning for our state of health, and often it can also be an alarm bell for diseases or problems, which our body manifests in this way.
Smoking and other factors can also cause yellowing of the nails, which is technically called Xantonichia, or the chromatic alteration of the same. Let’s see what are the main causes and what the best remedies to find white, shiny and healthy nails, both as regards the yellow toenails, and as regards the hands.
Yellow nails: the most common causes
This problem can be caused by behavioral or pathological disturbances. What changes? In the first case it is mostly about wrong habits or problems related to our lifestyle, while the pathological causes are often linked to more serious ailments. Let’s clarify .
• Products and cosmetics: Usually, the nails turn yellow after the use of not excellent quality varnishes , or of a very dark color, without first using a protective base. Frequent use of solvents or poor quality cosmetics can also make them yellow and dull.
• Smoking: Another cause may be the nicotine contained in cigarettes, which causes not only the nails to turn yellow, but also the fingertips with which the cigarette is usually held in the hand.
• Nutrition : However, health and nutrition problems may also be at the root of the problem, such as deficiencies in vitamins and minerals,
On the other hand, if the underlying cause of this problem is a disease or pathology that can be serious. If the problem persists, therefore, we advise you to contact your doctor to find out more and go to the root of the problem. But what are the most likely diseases that cause our nails to turn yellow?
• Liver or gallbladder problems.
• Cooling diseases such as bronchitis or sinusitis
• Mycosis and infections : yellowing can also be caused by fungal infections . In the latter case, the nails are also thickened and painful.
• Diabetes .
• HIV and AIDS .
• Yellow nail syndrome : this very rare nail disease leads to the growth of the nails, which thicken, grow more slowly and become dull and free of cuticles. This problem can also lead to nail loss ( onycholysis ).
Yellow nails: natural remedies
The question now arises: how to whiten nails and solve this problem? Obviously, as we have told you, the first thing to do is to understand the cause, and if it were a pathology, we advise you to follow his advice.
If, however, the causes were behavioral, the first thing to do in case of yellowed nails is, obviously, to identify the reasons for the problem.
If the cause is the enamel, avoid using it for a couple of weeks and before reapplying it, use a transparent protective base. To make them white again, in the weeks of break rub a slice of lemon on your nails, or dip your fingers in a mix of lemon juice and olive oil .
Another very effective natural remedy is baking soda . Mix 3 teaspoons with one of hydrogen peroxide, massage the mixture on the nails for a few minutes and then rinse with water.
In general, then here is a list of useful tips to improve the health of our nails:
• Do not smoke .
• Take care of your nails by cutting them, cleaning them and applying moisturizers on our hands.
• Always use quality products.
• Treating nutrition and stress .
ultimo aggiornamento: 06-05-2020