The recipe for Bled cake comes straight from one of the most beautiful lakes in Slovenia. If you’ve never tried it, run to the stove!
The Bled cake, or Bled cake to put it in the Italian, is a typical Slovenian dessert , more precisely from the area around the magnificent Lake Bled. Of course, enjoying it on site, in one of the different places that offer it directly overlooking the lake, it all tastes different, however this recipe is really simple to prepare so there are no reasons why you shouldn’t try it.
In fact, just a few ingredients are enough to obtain the Bled cream cake: the puff pastry first of all, which gives crunchiness, and two creams, the pastry and the Chantilly. If you decide to serve this Slovenian dessert at the end of a dinner with friends, you can be sure that you will make them happy and everyone will want to know how you prepared it. The choice is yours whether to share our secrets with them!
How to prepare the Bled cake recipe
- Start by unrolling the first sheet of puff pastry (leave the other in the refrigerator until the last moment) and prick the surface with a fork.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and cook at 200 ° C for 15 minutes.
- Then do the same with the second sheet and keep them aside, without breaking them.
- Prepare the cream by heating the milk with the vanilla , without letting it boil.
- Separately work the egg yolks with half the sugar and the flour .
- Add the rum , always stirring.
- Pour the hot milk over the mixture, stirring so as to obtain a homogeneous mixture, then put it back on the heat and cook until a smooth cream is obtained.
- Separately, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks, gradually adding the remaining sugar.
- Incorporate them into the whipped egg whites. This will make the cream light and fluffy.
- Collect one of the two pastry bases and distribute all the cream, leveling it so as to form a layer of homogeneous thickness.
- Cover with cling film and let it rest in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Then whip the cream with the 80 g of icing sugar and pour it over the base, creating another layer of even thickness.
- Cover with the other pastry and leave in the freezer for at least 4 hours .
- Serve the Bled cake after cutting it into squares and sprinkled with icing sugar.
Similar to this recipe is the classic millefeuille cake . We like them both and we never know which one to choose!
Bled cake can be kept in the refrigerator for a maximum of 2-3 days . We advise you to bring it back to room temperature before enjoying it.