Cruschi peppers are a typical Lucanian recipe prepared from dried and fried Senise peppers.
We have to thank the cooking broadcasts if more and more people discover the existence of recipes and ingredients typical of our regions. Let’s take for example the cruschi peppers: typical of the Basilica, in particular of Lucania. In fact, it is here, in Senise , that the particular variety of pepper is grown which, once dried, makes it possible to obtain the crusco pepper, now also recognized as a Traditional Agri-food Product.
In fact, only this variety, with its thin skin and scarce pulp, lends itself well to drying. Necklaces are then formed with dried peppers whose conservation is really long. This explains the reason for their success: you must in fact think that around 1600, when history places them for the first time, there was not much available to store food for the winter. The drying technique , thanks to the hot, dry and sunny days, was by far the best. But what is the recipe for preparing cruschi peppers?
How cruschi peppers are prepared
- First, get the Senise peppers , the only ones that can be used for this recipe.
- Then wash them under running water and dry them.
- Start drying by placing the peppers on a white cloth, not in direct contact with the sun: you have to choose a warm, dry and bright place.
- After about a day, equip yourself with a needle and nylon thread and form necklaces of peppers of variable length (about 1.5-2 meters).
- Let it dry completely: it will take several days and it is difficult to determine how many as they vary according to weather conditions.
- Your dried peppers are ready but to get the cruschi peppers there is another step to perform.
- Heat some seed oil in a pan without making it smoke.
- Remove the stalks from the peppers and cut them into 3 pieces.
- Fry them for a few moments in oil, just long enough for them to swell (2-3 seconds).
- Drain them with a slotted spoon, pass them on absorbent paper and serve.
Your cruschi peppers are ready to be crunched or used in some typical recipe such as cod alla lucana .
Cruschi peppers can be kept in a paper bag or tin box , always placed in a dry place, for over 6 months.
Sausage and mushrooms in a pan: a second dish loved by everyone!
For a dish full of flavors, we propose a second course with sausage and mushrooms, to be prepared in a...
Baked cauliflower scented with sage
A seasonal and easy to prepare side dish: baked cauliflower with béchamel scented with sage, perfect to accompany meat dishes....
Tired of the usual side dishes? Try the spinach alla romana
If you don’t know how to cook spinach then this recipe with raisins and pine nuts is perfect for you....
It’s good, soft and simple to make: it’s the legendary focaccia with onions!
Impossible to resist the scent of a freshly baked pan of focaccia with onions. Let’s find out how to prepare...
Embroidered polo shirts: precious allies at work and in your free time
Embroidered polo shirts help to create unique outfits and create personalized clothing for work: how to order them online quickly...
Recipes1 week ago
Salmon nigiri: sushi at your home in a few steps
Recipes1 week ago
French bread miche: “It’s always noon” gives us an ancient recipe
Food1 week ago
All about tamarind: its beneficial effects, its contraindications and how to use it
Fashion1 week ago
Voce Viva, the new fragrance by Valentino: Lady Gaga is the voice and face for the maison