Have you ever tried zucchini in a carriage? Our version with and without toasted bread will make your mouth water in just a few minutes of preparation.
Crunchy, stringy and rich in vegetables: zucchini in carriage are a variation of a great classic, but with a touch of green to celebrate a vegetable loved by everyone (adults and children). This preparation could not be more delicious: certainly we cannot say that it is a light recipe (even if you can bake everything in the oven), but you will certainly like it. Grab your courgette crop and let’s run to the kitchen… ready to get in the kitchen?
Preparation of zucchini in carriage
- Start by washing the courgettes thoroughly and cutting them into thin slices lengthwise using a knife or a potato peeler or a special kitchen utensil.
- Let them rest with a weight and some salt so that they release excess liquids and in the meantime beat the eggs in a deep dish with a pinch of salt and pepper .
- Take a slice of sliced bread and cut it in half along the diagonal , then stuff one half with the courgettes and a few pieces of provolone (diced or sliced).
- Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread and seal the edges well to shape the crumb.
- Now bread them in flour, then pass them in the egg and finish by breading them in the breadcrumbs making the breading adhere well.
- Pour two fingers of seed oil into a pan and, once hot, fry the zucchini in a carriage for a couple of minutes on each side.
- When they are golden brown, put them to dry on some sheets of kitchen paper (which will remove the excess oil) and serve.
Of course, this recipe is not “carved in stone”, in fact many, instead of frying them, turn on the oven at 200 ° C and leave it to cook for about 15-20 minutes . Just pay attention to the browning, if they get too dark lower the oven temperature.
Zucchini in a carriage without bread
This version is basically baked in the oven, however you can also make it in a pan with oil as per the recipe described above step by step. In this case the ingredients are exactly the same except for the toast . In fact, you will have to use the courgettes cut into slices , large and about 1 cm thick in its place. Once stuffed with provolone, breaded with flour, egg and breadcrumbs and then put in the oven at 180 ° C for about 20 minutes or heat two fingers of oil to fry and cook them in a pan for about 2 minutes per side before serving and serving.
Other variations and tips from Primo Chef
Among the lighter variants there is, as already explained above, the version of baked zucchini in carré (both in the version with and without bread loaf). But the differences to make the dish even better and more personalized don’t end there.
In the version with the bread carré, in fact, you can grate the courgettes instead of cutting them into slices and season them with salt, oil, pepper and lemon and leave them to flavor a few minutes before using them as a filling . Not only that, more and more gourmets are preparing zucchini in carriages with ham: all you have to do is add half a slice of cooked ham to each sandwich and that’s it. Not only can you try to stuff them with other cured meats, such as the delicious spicy salami .
In short, the choice is up to you, we advise you to experiment without ever forgetting the basic recipe from which this preparation is born: mozzarella in carrozza .
Both versions of the recipes for mozzarella in carrozza should be enjoyed at the moment if fried in oil. On the other hand, if cooked in the oven, they can last up to 1 day in the refrigerator, inside a container with an airtight lid. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.