Here is the recipe for artichokes alla giudia, an irresistible and very easy to make dish, perfect to bring to the table on any occasion.
Giudia artichokes are a real sin of gluttony . This is one of the most loved typical dishes of the entire Roman culinary tradition, and it is a crispy fried artichoke like never before, which is served whole and eaten by removing the leaves one by one, just like delicious artichoke chips.
It is an original recipe, that of artichokes alla giudia, born in the Jewish ghetto of the Roman capital (and it is precisely because of their Jewish origins that they are called in this way). Often the preparation is confused with the classic Roman artichokes cooked in a pan , and can be served as an appetizer or delicious finger food during a dinner with friends which, we can say, will certainly not be low in calories: think that a portion is around 180 kcal which they don't even seem like many, but we remind you that it is always a fried recipe.
Are you ready to find out how to prepare these fried violets? So let's start and see the recipe for artichokes alla giudia right away!
How to cook artichokes alla giudia
1. As always, the first phase consists in cleaning the artichokes . Remove the part of the final stem leaving the softer one ( about 5-6 cm ), cut the outer part of the stem and remove all the leaves until you get to the less hard ones. Don't forget to remove the inner beard.
2. At this point, soak them in water and lemon to prevent them from oxidizing .
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan.
4. Drain and dry the vegetables well with a cloth or paper towel, then immerse them in the pot and fry them for about 8-10 minutes , turning them often so that they are browned on all sides. To understand if they are ready, try to pierce them with a fork, if there is no resistance then drain them and put them to dry on absorbent paper or frying paper.
5. Wait for them to cool down, then with your hands gently open the leaves outwards forming a sort of flower and season them with salt and pepper.
6. Relight the flame under the pot of oil, which you can also decide to change in case it has reached the smoking point. Once at temperature ( about 160/170°C ), dip them again for about 1-2 minutes with the stem facing upwards, or in any case until they become crunchy, helping you with tongs to move them or with your hands.
7. Once cooked, dry them with a sheet of kitchen paper and serve hot.
And here is the video recipe to prepare them at home, crunchy and super good:
Tips for preparing artichokes alla Romana fried to perfection
There are many tips that we could give you to prepare this dish, but the really useful ones are few and very specific:
- you have to pay attention, first of all, to the oil temperature. We advise you to use a suitable kitchen thermometer and check that the first frying is done at a slightly lower temperature than the second ( 140/150°C before and around 160/170°C after ). The second cooking of the fried Roman artichokes is used to give crunchiness and make this traditional recipe super tasty. Furthermore, a good cooking ensures that there are no waste. In fact, all the "artichoke flower" is edible and enjoyable.
- Still speaking of oil, you are free to choose the type of oil you prefer for frying , extra virgin olive oil is used according to the classic recipe, but you can also opt for a lighter and more versatile seed oil.
- After cooking them, if you want to serve them in a rustic way, you can leave them with the stem , otherwise you can cut it and turn them upside down on the plate, so that they look like delicious flowers in all respects.
- The last tip is for a light cooking, you can also try preparing artichokes alla giudia in the oven, all you have to do is put them upside down on a pan with a drizzle of oil and cook them for about 35 minutes at 180°C .
Also try all our recipes with artichokes : a real goodness!
This easy and delicious side dish should be consumed at the moment . We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
How to cook potatoes in the microwave in minutes: here are all the secrets!
If you're short on time but want to enjoy an excellent side dish, we'll explain how to cook potatoes in...
Let’s taste the lightness of the chocolate water muffins
Chocolate water muffins are super light and soft treats, to be made with just a few ingredients and without eggs...
Antidepressant foods: what they are and why they work
Antidepressant foods can help lift your mood and keep it stable over time. Let's find out which are the most...
From French cuisine comes the Rossini fillet, delicious and elegant
Fillet alla Rossini is a second course based on beef fillet, enriched with foie gras and black truffle. From French...
Black gums, causes and symptoms: the alarm bell of a serious problem
Black gums should never be underestimated because they could be the alarm bell of a serious problem. Have you noticed...
Recipes1 week ago
How to make crepes: the simple video recipe for making the neutral dough (and some tasty inspiration)
Fashion6 days ago
Paris Fashion Week 2023: The most beautiful and eccentric looks of the front row
Recipes1 week ago
Pici cacio e pepe: the video recipe of the first course prepared from scratch!
Beauty1 week ago
Degradé on brown hair: for each style its nuance