Gemistà is a typical Greek dish prepared with vegetables stuffed with rice, capers, olives and aromatic herbs. Here’s how it is prepared.
Today we want to introduce you to a Greek recipe that won us over at the first taste. We are talking about gemistà, rice stuffed vegetables perfect to be served hot or cold during the summer season. Greek-style stuffed vegetables are usually prepared with ripe tomatoes and peppers , but there are also versions with zucchini and aubergines.
What you really cannot miss in order to consider it a dish of Greek cuisine is the rice filling flavored with fresh aromatic herbs, olives and capers . The result is something delicious, very close to our Mediterranean cuisine which, due to the ingredients used, is also well suited to those who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet .
How to prepare the gemistà recipe
- First wash the tomatoes and peppers. Then remove the caps and keep them aside. Empty the tomatoes and set aside the pulp, while the peppers remove the white filaments and seeds .
- In a pan, brown the finely chopped onion with the oil then add the rice and toast it for a couple of minutes.
- Then proceed just as if you were preparing a risotto : first add the chopped tomato pulp with a knife, then just enough broth to cover the rice flush. Cook for the next 16-18 minutes , seasoning with salt.
- Transfer it to a bowl and let it cool completely before adding chopped parsley and mint to a knife, coarsely chopped olives and capers and chopped almonds. Mix everything well.
- Stuff lightly salted peppers and tomatoes inside, cover with the corresponding caps and bake in the oven at 180 ° C for 40 minutes.
Serve these delicious appetizers the Greek way accompanied with baked potatoes .
The gemistà can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days . You can eat it at room temperature or slightly heated in a pan, in the oven or in the microwave. It is also possible to freeze it.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...