Born from the fusion of two cuisines, the pici cacio e pepe prepared with the original Sienese recipe are truly sensational.
The recipe for cacio e pepe is of Roman origin and, according to tradition, the pasta format that best suits it is spaghetti . But what happens if a traditional dish from Lazio borders on Tuscany? Pici cheese and pepper are born! This first course of fresh pasta is the result of the contamination of two different cuisines and, taking the best of each, it returns something truly sensational .
Pici , in fact, a sort of spaghetti prepared with water and flour (00 and semolina), are much more full-bodied and by their nature attract a lot of seasoning. As in the traditional recipe, also in this case we will use only three ingredients , in addition to those necessary for the preparation of the pasta: pecorino cheese, pepper and pici. Let's discover together the original recipe of pici cacio e pepe.
How to prepare the recipe for pici cacio e pepe
If you wish, you can also prepare the pici one or two days in advance and keep them in the refrigerator spread out on a clean cloth and dusted with cornmeal to prevent them from sticking. For a quick first course, you can also opt for ready-made pici, fresh or dried. Let's see immediately how to proceed in both cases!
How to make pici
- Start with the pasta. Put the two types of flour and the oil in a bowl, then add the water a little at a time, mixing by hand.
- When the dough begins to compact, transfer it to the pastry board and continue to knead . You'll have to get a smooth but not too hard dough.
- Cover it with an upside down bowl and let it rest for an hour.
- After the resting time, roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it reaches a thickness of 3-4 mm .
- Then cut 2 mm wide strips with a knife or pasta wheel and work each one with the palms of your hands until you have obtained a spaghetti of about 3 mm in diameter. Then cut them so that they are 30 cm long .
Cook the pici in abundant salted water (it will take about 10 minutes).
How to make pici cacio e pepe
If, on the other hand, you use ready-made pasta, dip the pasta in water. In this case cooking will be much longer: we are talking about 30 minutes , but always check the packaging.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the pecorino cream. Finely grate the cheese into a bowl, add a generous grind of pepper and a little cooking water. Mix to obtain a thick, lump-free paste.
- Once the pasta is ready, drain it and transfer it to a pan with a ladle of its cooking water.
- Add the cream cheese and stir well over low heat until creamy. If necessary, you can add more water.
- Once ready, serve the pici cacio e pepe piping hot, completing with a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper .
And here is the video recipe to prepare them at home from scratch:
As mentioned, this first course is a reinterpretation of a traditional Roman recipe : spaghetti cacio e pepe .
This pasta is essential to consume hot and as soon as it is ready . The creamy sauce that is created with the cooking water, the cheese and the pepper is mouth-watering but, over time it tends to cool down and lose its characteristic creamy consistency. We also advise against freezing in the freezer.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
How to cook potatoes in the microwave in minutes: here are all the secrets!
If you're short on time but want to enjoy an excellent side dish, we'll explain how to cook potatoes in...
Let’s taste the lightness of the chocolate water muffins
Chocolate water muffins are super light and soft treats, to be made with just a few ingredients and without eggs...
Antidepressant foods: what they are and why they work
Antidepressant foods can help lift your mood and keep it stable over time. Let's find out which are the most...
From French cuisine comes the Rossini fillet, delicious and elegant
Fillet alla Rossini is a second course based on beef fillet, enriched with foie gras and black truffle. From French...
Black gums, causes and symptoms: the alarm bell of a serious problem
Black gums should never be underestimated because they could be the alarm bell of a serious problem. Have you noticed...
Recipes1 week ago
How to make crepes: the simple video recipe for making the neutral dough (and some tasty inspiration)
Fashion6 days ago
Paris Fashion Week 2023: The most beautiful and eccentric looks of the front row
Beauty1 week ago
Degradé on brown hair: for each style its nuance
Health1 week ago
Autism spectrum disorders: what they are and how they manifest in children