Apple strudel is a simple and traditional recipe, as well as much easier to prepare than you might think. Here's how it's done!
Apple strudel is a dessert with very ancient origins. His, in fact, are Arab-Oriental origins and then had a great diffusion with the Austro-Hungarian Empire. For this reason it is now typical of the northeastern Italian regions, including Trentino-Alto Adige, Veneto and Friuli.
The strudel filling is often mistakenly wrapped in puff pastry, but in reality the original recipe calls for the special strudel pastry. However, if you don't have time to prepare it, you can buy rectangular puff pastry at the supermarket. Purists may not agree, but the dessert will be just as good !
Let's start right away with the wonderful apple strudel recipe!
How to make apple strudel with the original recipe
- First prepare the dough for the strudel. Sift the flour and arrange it in a fountain on the work surface . In the center, pour the egg, a pinch of salt, the oil and the water little by little.
- Work and knead for about ten minutes until you have obtained a smooth and homogeneous dough.
- While you let the dough rest, soak the raisins in the rum for ten minutes. If you are preparing the strudel for children, you can also use plain warm water .
- Then, in a small pan, lightly toast the breadcrumbs with the butter, being careful not to burn it. Set it aside.
- Peel the apples, cut them into wedges, remove the core and cut them into very thin slices.
- Place the apples in a large bowl , shell them well and drizzle with the lemon juice.
- Add half of the breadcrumbs , the well-squeezed raisins, the pine nuts, the cinnamon and the sugar, mixing everything well.
- Roll out the strudel pastry thinly with a rolling pin until it becomes a rectangle. Place it on the parchment paper, which you will need to close the roll well, and then spread a first layer of breadcrumbs on the dough, leaving the sides free.
- Distribute the apple mixture and roll up the dough with its filling from the long side. Close well and remember: the closing edge of the long side must eventually be under the strudel, otherwise it will risk opening during cooking. If not, flip it!
- Place the strudel with its parchment paper on a baking sheet, brush it with milk and sprinkle it with brown sugar. Bake in the oven at 180°C for 40 minutes .
- To serve, cut it into diagonal slices. You can enjoy it cold or slightly warm and accompanied by vanilla ice cream.
Apple strudel with puff pastry
If you want to prepare a quick apple strudel, as mentioned, you can dedicate yourself to the filling only and use a roll of ready-made puff pastry . In this way you can have a good dessert and made in a very short time , without giving up the scents and taste of tradition. Try it too!
Also try to prepare our fabulous tiramisu !
We recommend keeping the strudel in the fridge, for a maximum of 2-3 days and inside a special container. Once prepared, before cooking it, you can also freeze it in the freezer.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
How to cook potatoes in the microwave in minutes: here are all the secrets!
If you're short on time but want to enjoy an excellent side dish, we'll explain how to cook potatoes in...
Let’s taste the lightness of the chocolate water muffins
Chocolate water muffins are super light and soft treats, to be made with just a few ingredients and without eggs...
Antidepressant foods: what they are and why they work
Antidepressant foods can help lift your mood and keep it stable over time. Let's find out which are the most...
From French cuisine comes the Rossini fillet, delicious and elegant
Fillet alla Rossini is a second course based on beef fillet, enriched with foie gras and black truffle. From French...
Black gums, causes and symptoms: the alarm bell of a serious problem
Black gums should never be underestimated because they could be the alarm bell of a serious problem. Have you noticed...
Recipes1 week ago
How to make crepes: the simple video recipe for making the neutral dough (and some tasty inspiration)
Fashion6 days ago
Paris Fashion Week 2023: The most beautiful and eccentric looks of the front row
Recipes1 week ago
Pici cacio e pepe: the video recipe of the first course prepared from scratch!
Beauty1 week ago
Degradé on brown hair: for each style its nuance