An alternative to the classic jam? Try the caramelized figs, perfect to preserve, to combine with cheeses or to enrich desserts and pies.
The recipe for caramelized figs is a must in traditional Romagna cuisine when at the end of the summer the figs are picked still slightly unripe and then baked in the oven or in a pot. Today we will see both preparations: they are quite simple to prepare, but you must have a little patience because the times are long .
The baked version is a little faster, but in both cases it is essential that you leave the figs to macerate for about 12 hours (we advise you to prepare them in the evening so that in the morning when you wake up they are ready to start with the recipe) .
How to make caramelized figs in a pan
- First, get yourself a pan that is large enough to hold all the figs, without them squashing each other. Wash yourself, remove the stalks and insert an almond inside each fig.
- Arrange them in the pan, then cover them with the sugar, lemon zest and juice and a drop of water then leave to macerate overnight.
- The next day, place on low heat to caramelize. Once the sugar is completely dissolved, it will take about 1-2 hours during which you don't have to mix it , but – without ever losing sight of it – simply move it with the handle. The figs will be ready when the syrup becomes thick and dark and the figs have turned brown. (We just want to remember that the color will also depend on the type of fig used : the black figs will be darker while the white ones will have a much more subdued shade).
- Arrange the whole figs in sterilized jars , cover with their boiling syrup , close and let cool upside down in order to create the vacuum.
If the vacuum is done correctly, they can be kept for about 12 months in the pantry . If you want you can also make caramelized figs with rum. To do this you will need to add a glass of rum along with the sugar and other ingredients. If you want the ingredient not to go unnoticed then just add a few drops to each jar along with the fruit for an easy and delicious preserve.
How to make baked caramelized figs
- Start by washing the figs thoroughly, remove the stalk and insert an almond inside each fruit. Transfer them to a baking tray lined with parchment paper, sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and add the lemon and orange peels. Cover the pan with a clean kitchen towel and let it soak overnight.
- Subsequently, place in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for about 1 hour . Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Put in jars and sterilize in boiling water for about 50 minutes . Turn off the heat and return the jars to room temperature before drying and placing in the pantry.
If you love these sweet fruits, don't miss the delicious fig jam too!
Caramelized figs can be kept for about 3-4 weeks in well sterilized glass jars and stored in a cool and dry place, away from sources of light and heat. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...