Cherries in syrup: perfect with ice cream and in cakes
Making cherries in syrup is an easy way to preserve this summer fruit. Here is our recipe to prepare them.
We can consider sour cherries in syrup as a valid alternative to the alcoholic version in alcohol. In fact, they are interchangeable when used, with the only difference being that the recipe for cherries in syrup that we offer you today is also perfect for children and people who don't like alcohol.
Preparing homemade sour cherries in syrup isn't difficult but takes some time: they have to macerate for a whole day , then a syrup is prepared and once distributed in the jars you proceed with sterilization . In short, preparing cherries in syrup with the traditional recipe takes some time but let me tell you: the result is amazing !
How to make sour cherries in syrup
- First, wash the cherries well and remove the stalk. Then dry them with a clean cloth and pit them
- Spread the cherries in a bowl and sprinkle them with sugar
- Cover with a clean rag or plastic wrap and let them rest overnight or better 24 hours .
- After a day, you will notice that a syrup has formed . Filter it and put it on the fire, keeping the black cherries aside.
- Boil it for 15 minutes or in any case until bubbles form on the surface (remove any foam that may form if necessary).
- Pour the syrup back into the container with the cherries and leave for another night.
- The next day, filter the syrup again and bring it back to the boil, meanwhile put the cherries in one or more previously sterilized jars.
- Now you just have to pour the liquid to cover the fruit, close the jars with a new cap and proceed with pasteurization and vacuum packing .
- Place them in a large pot with the caps facing up and wrap them in a clean dish towel.
- Cover the water and bring to the boil, calculating 20-30 minutes from that moment.
- Leave the jars to cool in the water, then put them back in the pantry.
Variations of the recipe of sour cherries in syrup
To preserve cherries in a jar with syrup there are two other methods of preparation, actually 3, which we want to explain to you. Try them all and judge for yourself which of these you are more comfortable with.
- Cooking of cherries . The first is very similar to our basic preparation. You have to leave the cherries in the sugar overnight, then filter the syrup and boil it until a foam is created (which you will eliminate). At this point, add the black cherries and continue cooking for another 10 minutes . Drain the cherries from the pot with a slotted spoon and distribute them in the jars while the syrup boils for another 15 minutes . Only then pour the liquid into the sterilized jars and close.
- Syrup with sugar and water . The second variant is to make a syrup in advance with the sugar and about 2-3 glasses of water (if it is too thick, add more water). Put the two ingredients in a saucepan and when the syrup is transparent, pour it hot into the cherries in the jar. Turn them upside down and create the vacuum.
- Finally there are cherries in syrup in the sun. To prepare them, sterilize the jars then fill them by layering with black cherries and sugar until the ingredients are used up. Close the containers well, preferably hermetically, and then leave them in the sun for about 40 days . Make sure you never open them and beat them once a day to mix the fruit and sugar well. Once the indicated days have passed, clean them externally and transfer them to the pantry .
The sour cherries in syrup can be kept in the pantry for up to a year. Once opened, on the other hand, it is advisable to consume them within a few days and in any case keep them in the refrigerator .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Delicious carrot pancakes: a truly unmissable recipe
Making delicious carrot pancakes is easier said than done. Here are the ingredients and the procedure to prepare them to...
Light and gluten-free zucchini gnocchi
How to prepare gluten-free zucchini gnocchi? Here is the recipe for the variant with rice flour, perfect even for the...
Are African braids bad for you? How much do they cost? Everything you don’t know
A particular hairstyle to show off that never goes out of style: here's everything you need to know about African...
Traveler’s diarrhea: what it is, symptoms, treatment and prevention
Traveler's diarrhea is a fairly common problem. Let's find out together what it is and how to prevent or cure...
Potato pizza, the recipe that saves you the expense
Halfway between a margherita pizza and a potato gateau: here is the delicious potato pizza with tomato and scamorza cheese....
Fashion2 months ago
Essential and sexy: the new must have for s/s 2023 is the body, an alternative to the mini dress
Recipes2 months ago
Rice balls, an ancient easy Ragusan recipe with photos and videos to prepare them
Recipes2 months ago
Calabrian sardella: what it is and how to prepare the typical spicy sauce
Fashion2 months ago
Superga celebrates its street and chic attitude in the s/s 2023 collection: starring Levante and Tina Kunakey