Sunday lunch and you don’t know what to prepare for an appetizer? Try the recipe for creamed cod, you will not regret it!
The creamed cod or stockfish, if you prefer, is a traditional Venetian recipe. It is generally served as an appetizer and spread on croutons that will make all the components of the table quarrel, busy grabbing the last spoonful of this soft and velvety cream.
To make the recipe for creamed cod even easier, you can buy the fish already soaked . If you are wondering how to prepare it, here are the steps.
How to make creamed cod
- To make the creamed cod according to the original recipe, the first thing to do is to soak the cod . You will need to soak the cod for 3 days in a bowl of water and change it every day. If you want to avoid this procedure, you can buy the cod already soaked.
- At this point, you have to cut the cod into slices that are not too small . Fill a saucepan with cold water, add half a lemon and a few bay leaves.
- Bring the pot to the heat and as soon as it reaches boiling boil the cod for about 30 minutes , making sure to remove the excess foam with a skimmer during cooking. Cooking times may vary according to the size of the slices, so always check that it is well cooked.
- Once ready, keep the cooking water and transfer the stockfish to a bowl.
- Eliminate any bones , if any, and with the help of a pair of electric whips, start blending adding the oil slowly.
- Add about 100 ml of cooking water. The final consistency must be that of a spreadable cream .
- Your Venetian cod is ready to be served spread on croutons or polenta or in the way you prefer.
History of creamed cod: the origins of the dish
The history of Venetian cod dates back to 1432 , in the Lofoten archipelago beyond the Arctic Circle, where Piero Querini is sailing with his sailors. A storm, however, suddenly breaks loose, the sea swells to such an extent that the captain cannot help but shout at his sailors to go to the lifeboat.
As a good captain, he is the last to leave the boat and finds refuge on the island of Rost, where he sees his ship sink with all the cargo. On this island he knows a new fish that the inhabitants prepare both fresh and salty. It is precisely the stockfish that will arrive in Italian cuisine only a century later, thanks to the chef Bartolomeo Scappi.
The creamed stockfish is great to taste at the moment, but you can keep it in the fridge for a couple of days at the most.
Did you like this recipe? Also try the very similar brandacujun !
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Oily skin skincare: here are the five basic steps
In the case of oily skin, daily skincare with ad hoc products is very important: let's see what the basic...
Spaghetti with three tomatoes, a simply genuine dish!
Are you looking for a simple and tasty first course? Try the spaghetti with three tomatoes recipe, made only with...
Is using social media at the table bad?
Using social networks and smartphones at the table is now common among adults and children: a habit that involves risks....
Types of perm: how many there are and what effect they give to the hair
How many types of permanents are there? Let's find out all of them and see if there is also an...
Homemade Russian salad, the Queen of all appetizers!
Russian salad, the timeless and perfect appetizer for a delicious dinner: here are the ingredients and how to prepare it...
Recipes1 week ago
Mulled wine, the super-scented drink that warms up the coldest days
Fashion1 week ago
Military green passion: how to combine the most decisive of greens
Fashion7 days ago
Ugg Guard Boots, the waterproof sole that allows us to wear all but all the shoes we want!
Recipes1 week ago
Bucatini alla Caruso, the ingredients of the Neapolitan recipe