Delicious and tasty: here is the French toast par excellence, the croque monsieur. Let's find out the original recipe and some tasty easy variations.
More than just toasty, tastier than a sandwich: the croque monsieur is a true French delight. A substantial snack or a tasty and quick lunch: it is a toast with ham and cheese and with the characteristic of being literally covered in cheese, béchamel and then gratin before being served.
For those who are not satisfied with a simple sandwich, here is the original recipe for croque monsieur, which, if necessary, instead of sandwich bread, can also be prepared with bread to make it more rustic and crunchy in the bite. A prominent element is gruyère , a cheese that the French use in many of their preparations and which can be replaced by Emmental.
Preparation of the croque monsieur
- Start with the preparation of the béchamel. Heat the milk in a saucepan, put the flour and 15 g of butter in a second saucepan, put over low heat and melt everything, stirring with a whisk so that no lumps are formed .
- When the mixture begins to brown (you will have obtained the roux) slowly add the hot milk while continuing to mix.
- Once all the liquid has been added, add salt to taste and continue cooking, stirring until it thickens well.
- Finish with grated nutmeg to taste and let it cool away from the heat.
- Now grate 100 g of gruyere and start assembling the croque monsieur toast.
- Take two slices of bread, butter one side and add 2 tablespoons of béchamel on top.
- Add two slices of cooked ham and the grated Gruyere to each one, keeping two handfuls aside.
- Now close the sandwich with the other two slices of bread, spread the butter over it again and add another 2 tablespoons of béchamel each (so as to finish it) as well as what remains of the grated cheese.
- Now transfer the stuffed toasts onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and put the sandwich in the oven for about 15 minutes at 200°C in a static oven until an inviting crust has formed on the surface, then serve it hot!
We recommend consuming the French toast with cheese at the moment , warmed up it will not have the same enveloping taste we assure you!
The most famous variants of the croque monsieur and meaning of the name
Before listing the variations of this traditional French dish, known all over the world, we want to start from the story which, alas, is not very clear. It seems to have been born in Paris in the early 1900s , but it is not clear who was the first to prepare it and give it this particular name which literally means to bite (croque) sir (monsieur).
From this first classic version however, many others were born, more or less rich and appreciated. There is in fact his right arm, the croque madame made with the addition of a fried egg on top of the sandwich. Not to mention the croque provençal with the addition of tomato, the croque norvégien which replaces the ham with smoked salmon, and other croques which take their names according to the cheese that is used instead of gruyere.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Carnival chiacchiere: the traditional video recipe
The recipe for Carnival chiacchiere is simple and delicious: let's see how to prepare the most loved dessert of this...
How to make mustard: the classic recipe and its variations
Perfect for flavoring salads and meats: what are the varieties of mustard and the classic recipe for preparing it at...
Nike+Tiffany together again, the most awaited sporty chic collab of the year: when and where to buy them
The "legendary" collaboration between Nike and Tiffany who once again create a pair of sneakers, the most exclusive of the...
Grated apple pie with a moist and very soft dough!
The grated apple cake is a tasty version of the classic dessert, easy to make and very soft, because the...
Vomiting of the newborn: how to behave and what it can indicate
Newborn vomiting is always a cause for alarm. Let's try to understand it better and understand how to act and...
Fashion1 week ago
Not only in winter, tartan will also be worn in summer: the trend on the s/s 2023 catwalks
Fashion1 week ago
Ankle boots that have no age: the iconic Dr Martens are super trendy even in 2023
Recipes1 week ago
How do you make perfect baked potatoes (soft inside and crispy outside)? The infallible video recipe
Recipes1 week ago
Fried Friars, a Carnival sweet whose paternity is disputed