Custard donuts are fried bombs made with soft leavened dough, perfect for breakfast or for a tasty treat.
Today we are preparing an irresistible dessert, cream donuts! Typical of breakfasts at the bar together with croissants, they are also traditional carnival desserts. Soft and delicious on the inside, fluffy on the outside, these sweets are real indulgences, and you can also fill them with Nutella, chocolate, jam or anything else that tickles your palate. Let's go and prepare them together immediately, the result will be… a bomb!
How to make fried donuts
- Start by preparing the dough using the mixer (but if you don't have one you can also use a simple bowl and knead by hand): pour the flour, salt, sugar and grated lemon zest into the bowl of the mixer equipped with the appropriate hook. Turn on the planetary mixer and start mixing the ingredients at medium speed.
- Continue adding half the dose of milk (where you have dissolved the fresh brewer's yeast) and only when this has been well absorbed add the rest of the milk. Only when all the milk is completely absorbed add the egg, leave to work for about ten minutes to compact the ingredients and finally add the soft butter a little at a time.
- Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and compact, cover it with cling film and let it rest in the fridge until it doubles in size (preferably for about 8 hours or overnight). If you want to do it during the day, place it in a warm, dry place until it doubles in size (in this case 2-3 hours will be enough ).
- Once the leavening hours have passed, take the dough again and place it on a cutting board or work surface, then roll it out with a rolling pin forming a rectangle about 2 cm thick. If it is too hard (having just come out of the fridge) let it soften for 15-20 minutes before rolling it out.
- At this point you have to proceed with the folds (they are not essential, but they will serve to give more strength to the dough, make it swell better and ensure the characteristic central line of our krafen). Simply make two vertical folds with the edges of the dough and two horizontal ones, then recreate the ball or loaf.
- Roll out the dough again, helping yourself, if necessary, with a little flour, then with an 8 cm diameter cutter cut out many disks (with these doses you will get about 5 ), place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover with cling film or a clean cloth and leave to rise again for an hour.
- Once the resting time has elapsed, place a pan with high sides on the heat and heat the oil.
- Cut the baking paper so as to remove each circle of dough without touching the dough and fry the donuts one or at most two at a time, turning them a couple of times.
- Brown well, then lift the donuts with a slotted spoon , dry them quickly with kitchen paper.
- Leave to cool and only at this point dust the surface with icing sugar or pass them in a small bowl of granulated sugar.
- Finally, fill with the custard using a piping bag. Your cream bombs are ready, enjoy your meal!
Alternatively we recommend you try the Neapolitan staples .
And here is a video recipe for making perfect cream donuts. The doses are doubled but the steps are very similar to our recipe, so you will have no problem following and making the dessert:
The variations of baked donuts
The recipe, as we explained it to you previously, is correct. However, you can also try a lighter version thanks to the different cooking method. In fact, you can cook the cream donuts in the oven, baking them at 180°C for about 15 minutes until they are beautifully golden.
Once cooked, proceed to decorate with sugar and filling.
We recommend consuming the donuts at the moment, both for the frying issue but also for the softness of the dough. You can also store them in the fridge for a maximum of 1 day , preferably in a special container with a lid.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Fast 5:2 diet – how it works, menu, advantages and disadvantages
Among the most popular diets in the summer period is the 5:2. Let's find out how it works and what...
Let’s prepare lardiated broken ziti, a symbol of Campania cuisine
If you are looking for a tasty first course, don't miss this recipe from Campania: ziti lardiati! Pasta first courses...
Ideas for a light dinner? Here are light recipes and tips for tasty dishes
For a tasty light dinner you don't need much effort: just play carefully with the ingredients you have at home...
Light and tasty, the sliced chicken breast is the perfect second course
Preparing the sliced chicken breast is really simple and in no time at all you will have a quick and...
Vegetarian cabbage rolls
Vegetarian cabbage rolls: a delicious second course based on ricotta and rice. Try them also as a main dish! Who...