Do you know the hot cross buns, the sweet rolls of English origin?
If you are looking for quick and easy recipes perfect for Easter, we suggest you try hot cross buns, a real treat!
Among the Easter recipes there is one of English origin that you should definitely try. They are the hot cross buns, literally sandwiches with the cross often prepared for Good Friday. Their origin is very ancient: in fact it seems that they were prepared for the first time in 1300 by the hand of Thomas Rocliffe, a friar of the Abbey of S. Albans who wanted to distribute them to the poor at the end of Lent.
It is in fact a highly symbolic dessert not only due to the presence of the cross on the surface but also due to the presence of milk and butter in the dough, ingredients prohibited during Lent. Spices too, especially cinnamon and orange peel, symbolize the Christian Easter, especially the episode of the resurrection. But let's find out together how to prepare these delicious sweets.
How to make hot cross buns recipe
- First, soak the raisins in hot water scented with the grated orange peel.
- Separately, in a bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Gradually pour in the warm milk and start kneading first with a wooden spoon and then by hand. If you want, you can use the stand mixer equipped with a K beater.
- Then add the egg and the butter at room temperature, one piece at a time, waiting for the previous one to be absorbed and, lastly, the drained raisins in a fine mesh strainer and continue to mix until you get a well-cooked dough. elastic and strung or, if you're using a stand mixer, until it sticks to the hook.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface, create a ball and place it in a lightly buttered bowl, then let it rise in the oven off with the light on until doubled. It will take approximately 3 hours.
- Then divide the dough into rolls of 75 grams each and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at a distance of 1.5 cm from each other.
- Let them rise for another hour then brush the surface with a yolk.
- Prepare the glaze for the cross by mixing the flour, warm water and golden syrup or maple syrup until you get a smooth batter .
- Transfer it into a pastry bag with a small nozzle and draw the crosses on the sandwiches.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes and let them cool before serving.
Also try another typical bread of the Italian tradition, the remains of Como .
The hot cross buns can be kept in a confectionery container for 2-3 days , as soft as freshly made. It is also possible to freeze them.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
WHO advises against the use of sweeteners in diets. Let’s find out why!
The WHO has recently updated the guidelines discouraging the use of non-sugar sweeteners. Let's find out why and what are...
Pasta with courgette flowers
Simple and quick, pasta with courgette flowers is a truly delicious first course. Let's find out together how to prepare...
Here is the recipe for grilled swordfish, a delicious second course full of flavors and aromas. Today we are preparing...
Tricolor first course: tomato and burrata pasta
Tomato and burrata pasta is an ideal recipe to serve as a single dish, especially in summer. That's how simple...
June diet: the fresh and creative choice to lose weight
The June diet is a fresh and summery way to lose weight by eating with gusto. Let's find out which...
Health2 months ago
Picacism: what it is, how to recognize it and what are the risks
Fashion2 months ago
Essential and sexy: the new must have for s/s 2023 is the body, an alternative to the mini dress
Recipes2 months ago
Rice balls, an ancient easy Ragusan recipe with photos and videos to prepare them
Recipes2 months ago
Calabrian sardella: what it is and how to prepare the typical spicy sauce