Kurtos kalacs are also called sweet fireplaces due to their particular shape. Let’s find out all about this Hungarian dessert.
The term kurtos literally means fireplace or horn and alludes to the particular shape of this Hungarian cannoli prepared with a sort of puff pastry and then cooked while rotating on the grill. As for the word kalacs , the reference goes to Romania since this sweet nut is actually in Transylvania .
Typical sweet street food , it is sold both in the classic version and in others flavored with cinnamon, poppy seeds, handle, almonds or chocolate, all added when cooked. The basic recipe of the Hungarian dessert is therefore the same and, thanks to our advice, you can prepare this typical product even at home without the need for special tools. Ready to cook?
How to prepare the recipe for kurtos kalacs or kurtoskalacs
- Dissolve the yeast in about half of the milk and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the two flours, the 50 g of sugar, eggs and egg yolks beaten with a fork and finally the milk a little at a time, first the one with the yeast, then the rest.
- Once you have obtained a homogeneous dough (if you use the planetary mixer wait for it to hone), add the butter in chunks at room temperature and a pinch of salt.
- Transfer everything to a bowl and let it rise for an hour.
- Then divide the dough into 8 parts and roll it out with a rolling pin until it reaches half a centimeter thick.
- Then cut a 1.5 cm wide strip forming a spiral, from the outside to the inside then roll it around the mold without ever overlapping it. Proceed for all remaining pieces.
- Then brush them with butter and pass them in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- Place them upright inside the oven and cook at 180 ° C for 15 minutes , turning it every 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
If you can’t get the special molds, use empty 500ml cans by lining them first with aluminum foil and then with parchment paper.
If you liked this recipe, how about trying another typical Hungarian dessert, the palacinka ?
Sweet fireplaces keep for a couple of days wrapped in foil.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...