The dripping cake is the trend of the moment and lends itself to being prepared for birthdays and various parties. Here's how to make drip cake.
We have bulletin boards full of fashions that come from overseas. In fact, it is now through social media that ideas spread and, if they find fertile ground, they develop. The story of the drip cake, whose name is literally dripping cake , is just this. The idea behind this very scenographic cake, perfect for special occasions, is to create a non-uniform covering which, along the sides, reproduces a sort of pouring . But how do you make a drip cake and what ingredients are used for the dripping icing?
What is drip cake: all the variations
There is no single drip cake recipe, although it seems that its origin is Australian. In fact, the starting point is a cake, chosen from the common sponge cake or chiffon cake , filled according to your tastes and then covered externally with cream, butter or cheese cream, or chocolate ganache.
Already in this way it is clear how many ways a drip cake can be personalized simply by changing the starting base. Then there are all the fillings ranging from chantilly custard to the simplest and most popular ones based on cream or Nutella.
To obtain a perfect drip cake, however, the key step is the grouting : it is necessary to cover the whole cake evenly, creating a surface that is as smooth and homogeneous as possible. This is the most complex step of the preparation, the one on which the final result will depend.
We have already given you several tips on how to grout a cake and we can't add much more than to be patient and get yourself a spatula suitable for the purpose. Even a turntable could help you in the operations.
How to prepare our drip cake recipe
We will prepare a cocoa cake and fill it with a cream and spreadable cheese base; the icing instead is prepared with cream and chocolate . Let's begin!
- To prepare the drip cake , whisk the eggs with the sugar until you obtain a frothy mixture, which has tripled in volume.
- Then add the milk and then, a little at a time, the sifted flour with the baking powder and the bitter cocoa , alternating it with the oil and mixing with a kitchen spatula to avoid disassembling the mixture.
- Pour the dough into two buttered and floured or lined with parchment paper 18 cm molds and bake at 170°C for 25 minutes , doing the toothpick test before removing from the oven.
- In the meantime, dedicate yourself to the preparation of the cream. Whip the whipping cream (400 ml) and set aside.
- Work the philadelphia with the icing sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. It is not necessary to whip the compound for a long time.
- Then add the cream , mixing gently from bottom to top, and transfer the cream obtained in the refrigerator.
- When the cakes are ready and cold, cut them in half so as to obtain two discs from each one.
- Place the first disc on the plate and fill it with a layer of cream, cover with another cake and fill, continuing in this way until the end.
- Cover the outside of the cake with the same cream, ie filling it , and transfer it to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before proceeding with the decoration.
- When the dessert has cooled down completely, melt the chocolate with the fresh cream .
- Let it cool down for a few minutes, then pour it over the cake, letting it run down the sides. In contact with the cold base it will congeal rather quickly .
- Put the drip cake back in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving even if, like all filled cakes, a night of rest in the fridge will allow all the flavors to blend.
How to make drip cake icing
Even for the glaze there is no single recipe. First of all it is necessary to create a chromatic contrast with the covering, also using food colorings. Secondly, to make the icing run down the sides you will need a pastry bag or a simple spoon: distribute the icing around the edge , on the top, and then let it run unevenly along the sides. Then cover the entire top with the remaining icing.
To obtain a perfect drip cake effect it is important that the filled cake is very cold from the refrigerator . Only in this way will the glaze flow along the edges and, as it sets, create the flowing effect.
You have therefore understood that the drip cake is truly a versatile cake, perfect for the birthdays of young and old. Have fun creating your own version!
Like all cakes filled and rich in cream, drip cakes can also be kept in the fridge for a maximum of about 4 days . Before enjoying it, we advise you to keep it at room temperature for 15 minutes. We advise against freezing it .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Fast 5:2 diet – how it works, menu, advantages and disadvantages
Among the most popular diets in the summer period is the 5:2. Let's find out how it works and what...
Let’s prepare lardiated broken ziti, a symbol of Campania cuisine
If you are looking for a tasty first course, don't miss this recipe from Campania: ziti lardiati! Pasta first courses...
Ideas for a light dinner? Here are light recipes and tips for tasty dishes
For a tasty light dinner you don't need much effort: just play carefully with the ingredients you have at home...
Light and tasty, the sliced chicken breast is the perfect second course
Preparing the sliced chicken breast is really simple and in no time at all you will have a quick and...
Vegetarian cabbage rolls
Vegetarian cabbage rolls: a delicious second course based on ricotta and rice. Try them also as a main dish! Who...