A traditional Easter recipe, much loved, is that of monachina eggs. A Campania appetizer made of hard-boiled eggs, worked with bechamel, breaded and fried!
For the series “quick and easy recipes”, we present the eggs monachina. For those unfamiliar with them, it is a delicious appetizer, which can also be presented as a second course. The original recipe of this typical Neapolitan product is very simple. It starts by making hard- boiled eggs which are then stuffed with a creamy filling, in which the béchamel is placed.
The peculiarity lies on the outside, because they are breaded and fried . The crunchy shell makes this preparation more captivating, which is very soft inside. It is a really tasty product, which is part of the long list of Neapolitan recipes that are handed down from generation to generation. The origins of the monachina eggs, in fact, are very distant and, even today, they are prepared for the Easter lunch .
Preparation of the recipe for eggs monachina
- It all begins with cooking the main ingredient. Fill a saucepan with cold water , then dip 8 eggs inside. Turn on the flame and, from the moment it reaches a boil, cook for 10 minutes.
- After this time, turn off and remove from the water to cool down.
- Prepare the bechamel. Put the butter in a saucepan and let it melt on the stove, before adding the flour ( sifted ).
- Mix with a hand whisk, to avoid forming lumps .
- When the mixture is golden, add the milk, a little at a time . Continue cooking, stirring, until the product thickens (it will take about 15 minutes). Turn off the heat and add salt. Then, set aside, in the heat.
- Shell the hard-boiled eggs and divide them in half . Carefully, remove the egg yolks and place them in a small bowl.
- Mash the egg yolks, to reduce them to a puree, and cover them with the béchamel. Stir vigorously to mix everything.
- Use this mixture to fill in the gaps left in hard-boiled eggs. Rejoin each half with the other, to recreate the whole eggs. Put them temporarily in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, put more flour in a small bowl and the breadcrumbs in another. In a third bowl, lightly beat 2 eggs.
- Take the hard-boiled eggs and pass them first in the flour, then in the beaten eggs and, finally, in the breadcrumbs.
- Fill a saucepan with oil and heat it on the stove. Dip in one egg at a time and fry it until golden. At the end, remove with a slotted spoon and place to cool on a tray with absorbent paper. Here they are ready to serve!
You can also make baked eggs monachina. Place them on a baking tray, covered with parchment paper, after having breaded them. Brush them entirely with oil and cook in the oven at 200 ° C for 10 minutes .
Also served as a second course, typical of Campania, this product is one of the most delicious recipes to make for Easter. The best advice, being fried, is to immediately eat the eggs monachina. Alternatively, you can store them in an airtight container, for 1 day maximum.
Don’t miss the scotch eggs, eggs covered with meat .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
There is no Easter breakfast without the Roman regrown pizza
The Easter regrown pizza is a typical product of Rome, prepared for breakfast and stuffed in many ways. The original...
Have you ever tried our gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry?
A very simple recipe to prepare at home for those suffering from intolerances: the gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry will please...
Easter Mazurek, an amazing Polish dessert
Mazurek is a Polish dessert typical of the Easter period made up of a crunchy base stuffed with jam and...
Pastitsio: the super tasty Greek first course
Pastitsio is a typical Greek first course known to be very similar to baked pasta. Here’s how to prepare it...
Crepes without gluten and lactose, the perfect recipe for everyone!
Enjoy a moment of sweet relaxation with delicious gluten-free and lactose-free crepes. We will make you who are intolerant satisfied...