Potato rosti is a dish of Swiss cuisine, the basic version of which can be customized and enriched with many ingredients. Let's see the original recipe and some delicious variations!
The potato rosti recipe requires so few ingredients that it doesn't seem real; this pie is delicious as it is – trying is believing – but it can be flavored with many other ingredients and made in different sizes. The typical Swiss dish is perfect as a side dish, appetizer or even as a second course: you can make it in the shape (and size) you prefer and entice it with various additions.
So let's see the basic recipe and the best variants!
Preparation of potato rosti in a pan
- Wash the potatoes under running water, then put them in a saucepan, cover it with water at room temperature and turn on the heat, letting them cook for about 4-5 minutes from the moment they come to the boil. This way they won't be cooked but just softer.
- Drain, peel and grate them using a grater with large holes. Place them in a colander for five minutes.
- After the necessary time, squeeze them very well with your hands, in order to make them lose the excess water.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl, add salt and pepper and mix everything.
- Now sprinkle a work surface with a handful of starch and place medallions made with the potato mixture on top (you can prepare them by compacting them with your hands or using a 6-7 cm diameter pasta bowl).
- Pour the olive oil into a non-stick pan and heat it. At this point add the potato medallions.
- On medium-low heat cook for about 5-10 minutes. Carefully turn the potato rosti and cook on the other side as well.
- To obtain a crunchy crust , increase the heat for the last minute of cooking, but be careful because it tends to burn easily. Once cooked, put the potato rosti on a plate and serve piping hot . It should be cut into slices like a cake.
In the potato rosti, the original recipe calls for the use of raw potatoes. In this way, however, cooking times are lengthened and the risk of burning them or having a center that is not perfectly cooked increases and this is why we decided to blanch them for a few minutes before grating them. Using semi-boiled potatoes instead of raw ones will give you a softer patty.
– You can also cook the potato rosti in the oven: compact the mixture of grated potatoes with your hands inside a baking dish. Then bake in a hot oven at 220 °C for about 15 minutes in a static oven and for another 5 minutes in grill mode.
– This recipe lends itself to a thousand variations: to potatoes, for example, you can add spices such as paprika, coriander, curry or 100 g of grated cheese . You can also make a vegetable rosti , using grated zucchini or onions with various aromatic herbs.
– Potato and speck rosti, or with bacon or bacon, are also very tasty; to make it, just add about 100 g of cubes of the chosen salami. In short, the only limit to this typical Swiss dish is your imagination . Each time the recipe will taste different!
The rosti should be eaten at the moment, as soon as they are ready. However, you can leave them to cool down and store them in the refrigerator for a maximum of 1 day , well covered in transparent film or inside a container with an airtight lid. Before serving, heat them in the oven for a few minutes. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
How to cook potatoes in the microwave in minutes: here are all the secrets!
If you're short on time but want to enjoy an excellent side dish, we'll explain how to cook potatoes in...
Let’s taste the lightness of the chocolate water muffins
Chocolate water muffins are super light and soft treats, to be made with just a few ingredients and without eggs...
Antidepressant foods: what they are and why they work
Antidepressant foods can help lift your mood and keep it stable over time. Let's find out which are the most...
From French cuisine comes the Rossini fillet, delicious and elegant
Fillet alla Rossini is a second course based on beef fillet, enriched with foie gras and black truffle. From French...
Black gums, causes and symptoms: the alarm bell of a serious problem
Black gums should never be underestimated because they could be the alarm bell of a serious problem. Have you noticed...
Recipes1 week ago
How to make crepes: the simple video recipe for making the neutral dough (and some tasty inspiration)
Fashion6 days ago
Paris Fashion Week 2023: The most beautiful and eccentric looks of the front row
Recipes1 week ago
Pici cacio e pepe: the video recipe of the first course prepared from scratch!
Beauty1 week ago
Degradé on brown hair: for each style its nuance