Follow us


Humidity: what consequences can it have at home if it is high?

home dehumidifier

We spend most of our time at home, which is why it is necessary that the environments present optimal conditions, able to ensure an excellent quality of life from a psycho-physical point of view.

Without a doubt, excess humidity is one of the factors that most commonly threatens the healthiness of environments.

What are the ideal levels of humidity in the home?

To live in a healthy environment, the humidity in the house should be between a minimum of 30% and a maximum of 70% , depending on the temperature that characterizes the environment.

This is reported by the World Health Organization: this important body indicates in particular that a humidity rate of 70% can be tolerated if the temperature does not exceed 18 degrees Celsius. One degree more, however, is enough for this humidity to begin to decrease. In fact, in an environment with 19°C, the percentage value is between 50% and 70%. From 24 degrees upwards , on the other hand, the 30%-40% should never be exceeded.

If this ratio is not respected in the environment, excess humidity is recorded which can favor the formation of unhealthy environments, with a series of consequences which can also become quite important for fragile subjects, such as children and the elderly, or those with allergies.


Excess humidity: possible health effects

Excess humidity can impact health directly or indirectly, favoring the proliferation of mites in the environment or the appearance of mold and saltpeter on the walls, which are also potentially harmful.

The presence of molds and volatile elements caused by excessive humidity can cause coughing especially when you are in the affected areas. One of the most dangerous molds can be, for example , Aspergillus , in which the cough becomes greasy and asthmatic episodes can also occur.

Excess humidity can also cause problems for the nose and eyes, as some people can develop redness, itching and irritation, as well as allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis.

Of particular importance will be blocking the sources of humidity in the bedrooms: the quality of sleep can also be affected , as the body's thermoregulation requires that the body temperature drops as one passes through the various stages of sleep. This is why, on the hottest summer nights, in environments that are too humid, it can be more difficult to fall asleep and maintain sleep, given that the thermoregulation process can be altered .

A similar phenomenon can occur in winter, when a percentage of humidity higher than the ideal threshold can lead to feeling colder than normal. In these cases, colds , bronchitis and seasonal flus can be encountered.

How to get rid of excess moisture in your home

To eliminate excess humidity in the home it is important to avoid resorting to do-it-yourself remedies that are unable to definitively solve the problem and to request the intervention of a specialized company.

These are companies such as Murprotec, a reference company on a European level, which creates tailor-made treatments against humidity problems, taking into account the specific characteristics of the environment concerned.

In fact, a specialized company first of all carries out an inspection to examine the situation in detail, identify the cause of the problem and study the most suitable solution to combat it effectively .

Riproduzione riservata © - WT