With a long and difficult preparation, the kek lapis cake is one of a kind, but this colorful recipe is worth trying at least once.
This dessert is suitable for the most adventurous and most devoted to pastry. The kek lapis cake is one of the most complicated desserts to prepare , because it takes a lot of time and patience to create. However, it is so good that you cannot fail to try it at least once in your life. It is a Malaysian recipe, a very colorful work of Sarawak confectioners . It consists of many – too many – layers of various colors, which must be cooked one at a time, to compose the final dessert. Furthermore, the name of this sweet is very indicative, because "kek" means "cake" and "lapis" translates as "layers". Making the dough isn't complicated, but the cooking time is quite long. Everything is also explained in the last and awaited episode of " Bake Off Italia 2022 ", because this dessert is one of the protagonists.
So, let's get started and get started!
Preparation of the recipe for the kek lapis cake
- Cut the butter into chunks and place the chunks in a large bowl. Add 300 g of sugar and whip the mixture with electric whisks for a few minutes.
- When it is foamy, add 150 g of condensed milk, the oil and the vanillin; stir to incorporate each addition.
- Add one yolk at a time, allowing each one to be fully incorporated before moving on to the next.
- In another bowl, add the flour to the cornstarch, sieving them ; add the spices (star anise, cinnamon and cloves) and mix.
- Pour these powders to the previous mixture and work again with the electric whisk to mix everything.
- In a bowl, pour the 7 egg whites and whip them with an electric mixer; halfway through the process, start adding 50 g of sugar little by little . Continuing to whisk, add the cream of tartar.
- Add the whipped egg whites to the mixture and incorporate it with a spatula, mixing gently .
- From the dough, take about 300 g and transfer them into a bowl; add the food coloring and mix to color it evenly.
- Take another 300 g and mix them with the green dye.
- Line a square cake mold ( 23×23 cm ) with parchment paper and spread 100 g of the remaining neutral-colored dough inside.
- Bake in the oven at 170°C for 5 minutes , until golden brown.
- In the meantime, create a sauce, mix 3 tablespoons of melted butter with 2 tablespoons of condensed milk (40 g).
- When the base is ready, spread a light layer of syrup over it. Then, spread only 100 g of red dough over the base and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, brush another wet and spread 100 g of green dough; then cook for 5 minutes.
- Continue to alternate red and green layers, spacing them with the sauce and always cooking them for the same amount of time.
- Once done, let the cake cool for 10 minutes.
- Subsequently, cut it into four strips of equal size, place them on a sheet of parchment paper, assembling them so that the various colored layers compose a staggered design. Wrap it in paper and put it in the fridge to harden for 30 minutes .
- Meanwhile, take a rectangular mold ( 33×23 cm ) and line it with parchment paper.
- Spread the remaining quantity of natural-colored dough inside and cook in the oven at the same temperature for 5 minutes .
- Once the base is cooked, spread it with the syrup. Position the four assembled strips of various colors on one of the shorter sides and roll them up in the base.
- Cover with parchment paper and put in the fridge for 2 hours . After this time, you can serve it!
The kek lapis cake is colorful and delicious. With a little practice and a lot of patience, you can get a tasty result similar to the original. You can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days , in a container.
If you have taken a liking to scenographic desserts, try your hand at the recipe for the Zurich cake !
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Fast 5:2 diet – how it works, menu, advantages and disadvantages
Among the most popular diets in the summer period is the 5:2. Let's find out how it works and what...
Torta Bertolda, the country dessert of Lombardy
The Bertolda cake is the recipe to make at home if you don't know which dessert to prepare for breakfast....
How to marinate lamb
Here's how to marinate lamb: a very ancient technique that serves to enhance the flavors of the meat and keep...
Baked rice and cabbage pie: a delicious (and gluten-free) single dish
The rice and cabbage pie is a tasty and inviting single dish, here are all the (very easy) steps to...
Water apple cake
Recipe and tips for preparing a perfect water apple pie: taste and lightness in every bite. It is a real...