The recipe for brandacujun comes directly from western Liguria, a creamed cod with potatoes with an intense flavor and creamy consistency.
The name does not bode well yet the brandacujun is nothing more than creamed stockfish. It is a typical product of western Liguria prepared with desalted cod , potatoes and herbs such as parsley, lemon juice and garlic. This traditional Ligurian dish was born on sailors’ boats where potatoes and fish were never lacking.
The meaning of brandacujun derives from the gesture of brandishing , that is to rotate the pot to mix all the ingredients and thus obtain the characteristic consistency. As for the second part of the name, the translation of which is not difficult to guess, it alludes to the fact that this operation was carried out by the less awake sailor on the ship, being a rather simple calculation.
How to prepare the original recipe brandacujun
- First cut the cod into small pieces, leaving the skin behind. Put it in a large pot, cover with salted water and bring to a boil.
- At this point, add the peeled potatoes cut into chunks and continue cooking until they are tender.
- Set aside half a glass of cooking water and drain all the ingredients, removing the skin and any fish bones.
- Then put all the ingredients back into the pot, lightly mashing the potatoes, and add the finely chopped garlic and parsley, the oil and the cooking water, mixing well with a wooden spoon as if you were stirring.
- Scented with lemon zest and juice, season with salt and pepper and complete with pine nuts.
The brandacujun is a quick recipe excellent to be served as an appetizer, spread on croutons , or as a main course. If you like the idea, we suggest you also try the more classic creamed cod, we are sure you will like it.
If you love cod, however, you can try the stewed cod recipe .
The brandacujun cod can be kept in the refrigerator well covered with film for 2-3 days. We advise you to consume it at room temperature.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...