Follow us


Poisonous mushrooms, how to recognize them: watch out for the evil boletus

undergrowth mushrooms

How to recognize poisonous mushrooms? It is necessary to be very careful because some species are very dangerous, if not lethal.

Mushrooms, for those who can eat them without suffering terrible stomach ache, are a truly delicious food. Excellent fried foods, to accompany a good first course or on pizza: there are so many recipes that see them among the main ingredients. Still, never forget poisonous mushrooms . Let's see how to recognize them and not make mistakes.

Poisonous mushrooms: how to recognize them?

Even if the law provides for a license / course (based on the region) for those who go to the woods to collect mushrooms, let's see how to recognize edible mushrooms from those that are not. In all humid and shady areas they are found in large quantities, but not all of them can end up in the pot. Some can cause side effects like vomiting or diarrhea, while others are so dangerous that they could cause death. This is why, before venturing into the woods, a minimum knowledge of the subject is necessary.

Before seeing how to recognize mushrooms, let's start with a basic rule : when you are not convinced of the edibility of a mushroom, do not eat it. Just think that in Europe alone about 10,000 food poisonings caused by poisonous mushrooms are recorded every year, with deaths ranging between 200 and 300 per year. Therefore, it is really important to know how to distinguish a good mushroom from one that is not.

The first valid advice is to know perfectly the species of mushrooms that can be eaten, such as succulent porcini or honey. In this way, in fact, you will go in search of only the mushrooms you are sure of. Or, go out into the woods with someone experienced who can clarify all your doubts.

How to recognize poisonous porcini mushrooms

Considering that porcini mushrooms are among the most popular varieties, it is good to never confuse them with the Boletus satanas, or the so-called malefic porcino . While they are similar in appearance, there are some differences that are impossible not to notice. First, the hemispherical hat of white color has green or gray shades, with sizes ranging from 10 to 30 centimeters. Then, the stem has a yellowish color, different from the white / beige of the edible boletus. Finally, taking it in your hand, or even just touching it, this mushroom becomes brown / bluish.

Regardless of whether it is a boletus or a cockerel, remember to always prefer mushrooms with brown or light brown gills, without scales on the cap and without a ring under the stem. Obviously, mushrooms with red stems or caps are also banned. If you have symptoms of intoxication, go to the emergency room immediately.

Riproduzione riservata ยฉ - WT