Gratin dauphinois is a single dish of French origin, good and easy to make, with potatoes, cheese and little else.
It is one of the oldest French dishes, but the gratin dauphinois is still very popular today. Its recipe is among the most traditional, even if every family has its own way of preparing and personalizing it. Either way, the original recipe of this French main dish always remains special and tasty. The two ingredients that cannot be missing are potatoes , cut into slices, and gruyere cheese – the most French there is! The basic preparation also requires cream, butter and eggs. Once baked au gratin in the oven , a crunchy crust is formed, which encloses a warm and soft filling.
Preparing the recipe for gratin dauphinois
- The first thing to do is wash and peel the potatoes; then, cut them into very thin slices with the help of a mandolin if necessary.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and put it on a moderate heat to warm it up. Once done, add the minced garlic and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir and then turn off the heat.
- Shell the eggs in a bowl and beat them; to these, add the hot and flavored milk and the liquid fresh cream. Stir to mix everything.
- Take a baking dish and butter the inside of it. Spread a first layer of potatoes.
- Pour half of the egg, milk and cream mixture, then add half of the grated gruyere cheese.
- Repeat these steps , making another layer of potatoes, one of milk and egg mixture and one of cheese.
- Enrich the surface with a few tufts of butter.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C for 90 minutes . At the end, leave the dish in the oven for a few more minutes, then you can serve.
Gratin dauphinois is a tasty dish, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. You can keep it for 1 day in the fridge , in an airtight container.
Another must-have French staple is croque monsieur, toast with cheese .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
How to cook potatoes in the microwave in minutes: here are all the secrets!
If you're short on time but want to enjoy an excellent side dish, we'll explain how to cook potatoes in...
Let’s taste the lightness of the chocolate water muffins
Chocolate water muffins are super light and soft treats, to be made with just a few ingredients and without eggs...
Antidepressant foods: what they are and why they work
Antidepressant foods can help lift your mood and keep it stable over time. Let's find out which are the most...
From French cuisine comes the Rossini fillet, delicious and elegant
Fillet alla Rossini is a second course based on beef fillet, enriched with foie gras and black truffle. From French...
Black gums, causes and symptoms: the alarm bell of a serious problem
Black gums should never be underestimated because they could be the alarm bell of a serious problem. Have you noticed...
Recipes1 week ago
How to make crepes: the simple video recipe for making the neutral dough (and some tasty inspiration)
Fashion6 days ago
Paris Fashion Week 2023: The most beautiful and eccentric looks of the front row
Recipes1 week ago
Pici cacio e pepe: the video recipe of the first course prepared from scratch!
Health1 week ago
Autism spectrum disorders: what they are and how they manifest in children