According to some testimonies it was created for Princess Sissi. Either way, the Presnitz quick recipe is tasty and easy to make at home too.
The name Presnitz indicates a very old Trieste dessert . The preparation is very simple, even if it needs various ingredients. A puff pastry wrapper, encloses a rich and creamy filling, made with walnuts, raisins, pine nuts, candied fruit and little else. Much like the usual strudel, this cake is long and spiral-shaped .
According to history, its origins are to be placed around the early nineteenth century. Period in which, as it is said, it was created on the occasion of the arrival of Princess Sissi at the Miramare Castle, near the city of Trieste. On the particular shape, according to a legend, the pastry chef wrote “If you travel the world, come back here” . The dessert was very successful and was called Preis Prinzessin, or “Princess Prize” . Later, the name was simplified to Presnitz. To date, it is prepared in the area of origin on the occasion of Christmas or Easter.
Preparation of the traditional recipe for Presnitz
- Before starting, soak the raisins in a glass with the rum for 10 minutes.
- Take care of the pasta. Sift the flour and pour it into a bowl. Then, add 1 egg.
- Work to mix the two ingredients. Add the oil and, a little at a time , also the water.
- Knead for about 10 minutes, obtaining an elastic and smooth mixture.
- Shape it into a block and grease it with a little oil, before wrapping it in cling film and letting it rest for 30 minutes .
- Drain the raisins and put them in a large bowl. Peel all the dried fruit (walnuts, pine nuts, almonds) and pour it into the bowl.
- Add the poppy seeds, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. To finish, cut and add small pieces of candied orange peel and citron.
- Chop the chocolate and chop it in a blender, then add it to the rest.
- Proceed by adding the rum (in which you have soaked the grapes), sugar and breadcrumbs. Stir to distribute the ingredients.
- Roll out a sheet of baking paper, flour it and place the dough on top. With a rolling pin, roll it out to form a thin, rectangular sheet.
- Spread over the filling, leaving 1 cm from the free edge . Roll up the dough, sealing the long edge and the two short ones well.
- Take a baking sheet and grease and flour the bottom. Place the Trieste Presnitz on top and shape it in a spiral (you can also keep the edges spaced).
- Put the butter in a saucepan and melt it over the heat. Meanwhile, beat 1 egg yolk in a small bowl. Add the melted butter and mix.
- With this mixture, brush the surface of the dessert.
- Bake in the oven at 180 ° C for 40/45 minutes . Let it cool and serve.
Once you have tried it, you will no longer be able to give up the extraordinary flavor of this Presnitz, originally from Trieste. Surely it will be snapped up by guests but, if it is left over, you can keep it in an airtight container for up to 3 days . Keep it in a cool, dry place or in the fridge.
Less elaborate but equally delicious, ever tried apple strudel with puff pastry ?
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
There is no Easter breakfast without the Roman regrown pizza
The Easter regrown pizza is a typical product of Rome, prepared for breakfast and stuffed in many ways. The original...
Have you ever tried our gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry?
A very simple recipe to prepare at home for those suffering from intolerances: the gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry will please...
Easter Mazurek, an amazing Polish dessert
Mazurek is a Polish dessert typical of the Easter period made up of a crunchy base stuffed with jam and...
Pastitsio: the super tasty Greek first course
Pastitsio is a typical Greek first course known to be very similar to baked pasta. Here’s how to prepare it...
Crepes without gluten and lactose, the perfect recipe for everyone!
Enjoy a moment of sweet relaxation with delicious gluten-free and lactose-free crepes. We will make you who are intolerant satisfied...