Let's find out how to make candied pumpkin at home, a typical Sicilian recipe to fill desserts or to accompany cheeses.
Zuccata, also known as cucuzzata 'nclippata or more simply cocozzata, is a sort of pumpkin jam widely used in Sicilian cuisine to fill desserts, but also excellent in combination with cheeses with a strong flavor.
To prepare the candied pumpkin, however, we do not use pumpkins but courgettes , the long and light green ones very common in this region. The procedure for the rest is very similar to that of any jam but the flavor is very special. So if you have always wondered what the secret of Sicilian sweets was, here it is revealed. Ready to cook?
How to prepare the Sicilian pumpkin recipe
- First, peel the courgette , remove the spongy central part and cut it into small pieces .
- Cook it in a pot until it is tender, almost undone. Then put it to strain in a colander placed in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Chop it with a knife and put it back in a pot on the stove. Let it dry over medium heat, stirring often so that it does not stick.
- Then add the sugar and continue cooking just as if it were a jam, testing the saucer before turning off the heat. For the whole cooking process it will take about 50 minutes .
- Distribute in sterilized glass jars, close with a new cap and turn upside down until the vacuum is formed. Your pumpkin is ready to be stored in the pantry.
Once prepared, the pumpkin can be used to make delicious Sicilian pasticciotti or to prepare the sfoglio polizzano .
Long zucchini jam can be kept in the pantry for over a year . Once opened, place it in the refrigerator and consume it within a week.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Bucatini alla Caruso, the ingredients of the Neapolitan recipe
Bucatini alla Caruso are a simple first course prepared with genuine ingredients typical of the Campania region. Here is the...
Mousseline cream, a pride of French pastry
Similar to custard, mousseline cream is enriched with a fair amount of butter. Here is the recipe. France is famous...
Bach flowers: a natural remedy for colds and flu
Bach flowers are valid natural remedies for colds and flu: let's see which ones to use against these diseases. Like...
Crunchy baked pumpkin crush: perfect for autumn
The crunchy squash squash is an excellent alternative to bread to serve as an appetizer. Here is the recipe to...
Comfy and practical: long live wide trousers, save looks for every occasion
For those days when you need a cocoon mood and more, the perfect women's wardrobe includes baggy trousers Bootcut, palazzo,...
Fashion1 week ago
Black Friday fashion: between advances, fast shopping and discounted luxury purchases
Recipes1 week ago
How to make risotto pasta in a pan: have you ever tasted it?
Recipes1 week ago
How to make mascarpone cream: the classic recipe and with the Thermomix!
Recipes4 days ago
Reinforcement salad: a Christmas dish of the Neapolitan tradition