Soft and fragrant, potato bread is a recipe for homemade bread that keeps really long.
Potato bread is a typical recipe from different areas of southern Italy . The idea of adding boiled potatoes to the dough has a dual function. First of all it helps to keep it soft for longer and secondly it allows to reduce the amount of flour used. In the past, in fact, flour cost more than potatoes, so replacing it with poorer ingredients was a real necessity.
Today, the homemade potato bread recipe is just one of many that includes the addition of this ingredient. Think for example of the focaccia from Bari which, without potatoes, would be a completely different recipe. Let’s see together how to proceed to obtain a tasty and delicious potato bread.
How to make the potato bread recipe
- First, boil the potatoes well in advance. While they are still hot, mash them with a fork or potato masher but make sure they are very cold when using them. All excess moisture will have to be evaporated.
- Pour the lukewarm water into a bowl and let the fresh yeast dissolve together with a teaspoon of sugar.
- Then add the flour and start kneading with a spoon . When the dough begins to compact, add the potatoes and salt. You will need to get a smooth and homogeneous dough.
- Transfer it back to the oiled bowl and put it to rise in the oven off with the light on until it has doubled. It will take approximately 3-4 hours.
- Then transfer it to the baking tray lined with parchment paper without kneading it: simply turn it upside down and, if you like, make incisions on the surface with a sharp knife.
- Let rise another hour.
- Then cook at 190 ° C for 30 minutes , lowering the temperature to 170 ° C for the last 10 minutes .
If you are looking for quick and easy recipes to prepare homemade bread this is really perfect!
Potato bread will keep for a long time: in a paper bag it will keep soft for 4-5 days .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
There is no Easter breakfast without the Roman regrown pizza
The Easter regrown pizza is a typical product of Rome, prepared for breakfast and stuffed in many ways. The original...
Have you ever tried our gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry?
A very simple recipe to prepare at home for those suffering from intolerances: the gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry will please...
Easter Mazurek, an amazing Polish dessert
Mazurek is a Polish dessert typical of the Easter period made up of a crunchy base stuffed with jam and...
Pastitsio: the super tasty Greek first course
Pastitsio is a typical Greek first course known to be very similar to baked pasta. Here’s how to prepare it...
Crepes without gluten and lactose, the perfect recipe for everyone!
Enjoy a moment of sweet relaxation with delicious gluten-free and lactose-free crepes. We will make you who are intolerant satisfied...