Vol-au-vents are a delicious appetizer, ideal for filling in many ways and for serving. Here is the easy recipe and many ideas for the filling!
Today we are preparing a wonderful recipe , perfect to bring to the table to cheer up the Holidays and to delight your guests… by the throat: savory vol-au-vents with fondue, a typical Christmas appetizer. These are puff pastry baskets that can be filled in many ways, and which lend themselves above all to creamy fillings .
Among the most famous, there are those with a very tasty cheese fondue filling, which today we will see together how to make, but there are also many other recipes for savory vol-au-vents to try. You are ready? So let's get started !
How to make stuffed vol-au-vents
- First of all, take the roll of puff pastry, roll it out delicately without breaking it and then cut into disks with a diameter of at least 5-6 cm.
- At this point from the disks obtained, with a smaller cup , a central circle and rings. These will be the parts to compose your vol-au-vents: the disks will be the base, and above each one you will have to place three rings, which will form the walls. If you want you can also create a small lid, which will serve as an elegant decoration .
- Once all the baskets have been created, which you must have assembled by brushing a little milk between the layers to make the pieces of dough adhere to each other, prick the base and bake them in the oven at 200°C for about ten minutes .
- Now let's move on to filling the vol-au-vents with fondue, the crucial phase. Prepare the fondue by melting the butter and flour in a saucepan. Once the roux is created, add the milk and then the diced cheese.
- Mix everything until you have obtained a creamy consistency , then add a pinch of salt and pepper and a little grated nutmeg.
- At this point, fill the vol-au-vents that you have cooled in the meantime. If you can, serve them on the spot still hot, otherwise you can compose them and heat them slightly before serving them.
Stuffed vol-au-vent: recipes and tips for preparing them
In addition to the classic hot filled vol-au-vents with fondue, there are many other sauces that you can make to bring to the table a quick, tasty appetizer that is difficult to give up. For a vegetarian filling, just warm the puff pastry box slightly and stuff it with a spoonful of Russian salad . Not only that, we also recommend preparing mushroom vol-au-vents. You will have to make the béchamel according to the classic recipe , and separately cook the mushrooms in a pan (we recommend the porcini mushrooms) with a drizzle of oil and garlic. Once they are toasted, remove the garlic and add chopped parsley and, as a last step, blend them together with the béchamel and here is a spot-on and delicious filling for vol-au-vent.
Moving on to other fillings, the cocktail sauce certainly cannot be missing. For a classic but fun idea, we recommend preparing the traditional prawn cocktail and "dishing it up" directly inside the puff pastry glasses. Or why not prepare vol-au-vents filled with cooked ham? Make the mousse with fresh ricotta or robiola cheese , blended ham, salt and pepper and stuff them. The same procedure to follow is also to prepare a filling with salmon, tuna or even with mortadella.
In short, there are many ideas to make one of the most sought-after Christmas appetizers , and which one do you choose?
These filled vol-au-vents, quick and very easy, are best eaten at the moment so that the dough does not become soft due to the filling and the filling does not risk losing its qualities.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
How to cook potatoes in the microwave in minutes: here are all the secrets!
If you're short on time but want to enjoy an excellent side dish, we'll explain how to cook potatoes in...
Let’s taste the lightness of the chocolate water muffins
Chocolate water muffins are super light and soft treats, to be made with just a few ingredients and without eggs...
Antidepressant foods: what they are and why they work
Antidepressant foods can help lift your mood and keep it stable over time. Let's find out which are the most...
From French cuisine comes the Rossini fillet, delicious and elegant
Fillet alla Rossini is a second course based on beef fillet, enriched with foie gras and black truffle. From French...
Black gums, causes and symptoms: the alarm bell of a serious problem
Black gums should never be underestimated because they could be the alarm bell of a serious problem. Have you noticed...
Recipes1 week ago
How to make crepes: the simple video recipe for making the neutral dough (and some tasty inspiration)
Fashion6 days ago
Paris Fashion Week 2023: The most beautiful and eccentric looks of the front row
Recipes1 week ago
Pici cacio e pepe: the video recipe of the first course prepared from scratch!
Beauty1 week ago
Degradé on brown hair: for each style its nuance