Tahdig is an oriental first course, simple and fragrant. Following the easy recipe, here’s how golden-crusted Persian rice is made.
Tahdig is a typical Persian product, much loved both in the East and in the West. Its original recipe has spread around the world and, nowadays, extra ingredients , such as spices or yogurt, appear in some versions. The basic preparation can be summarized in a similarity closer to Italian cuisine: it consists of a crispy saffron rice.
Preparation of the recipe for tahdig
- Before starting, put the rice to soak in cold water. After 30 minutes, rinse it off 3 times .
- Next, transfer it to a pot full of water. The liquid should reach up to a couple of centimeters above the surface of the rice.
- Cook on the stove, after having salted the contents. When it comes to a boil, cook for another 6 minutes . Then, drain and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 glass of water in a saucepan. Transfer it to a cup and, when it is still boiling, add the saffron a little at a time . Meanwhile, stir to completely dissolve this powder and leave no lumps .
- Take a saucepan and cut out a circular piece of parchment paper, a little wider than the bottom of the pan. Place it right on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the oil and half the quantity of butter over the sheet. Turn on the stove to melt the butter.
- When the mixture is melted and amalgamated, turn off and pour half of the water and saffron mix.
- Fill the saucepan with the rice, using a spoon.
- Once done, cover with the other half of saffron and water. Spread the other half of butter ( cut into chunks ) along the perimeter of the rice surface.
- Season with a handful of salt and start cooking the tahdig.
- Cover with a lid, which you must then cover with a clean cloth .
- Cook over medium-low heat for 8 minutes . Lower the heat to low and continue cooking for another 30 minutes .
- At this point, turn off the stove, but leave everything in the pot for another 10 minutes.
- After this time, you can remove the tea towel and lid. Carefully, place a plate on the saucepan and turn the product upside down, sliding it onto the plate. Now it’s ready!
What is “tahdig”?
This term indicates the ” bottom of the pot “. Right on the bottom, a crunchy golden crust is created which, after turning the product upside down, passes to the surface. The recipe for this Jewish first is made with basmati rice , which is cooked in a pot together with saffron . While the inside remains moist and soft, the crust that goes to the surface becomes firm and crunchy, creating a delicious contrast.
Its preparation involves a technique called ” pilaf “, which has ancient origins and consists precisely in this particular cooking of the rice, from which a set of shelled grains is obtained. According to some testimonies, this first dish was prepared for the first time for Alexander the Great , on the occasion of the conquest of the city of Samarkand. From the 10th century, however, this recipe appears in the book of the famous Persian doctor Avicenna.
Serve tahdig, or Persian rice with a golden crust, for lunch to amaze your guests. You can keep it in the fridge for 3 days , in a container.
From the same kitchen comes the fantastickuku sabzi omelette. What are you doing, don’t you try it?
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Risotto with pomegranate: a rich and colorful dish for special occasions!
It is one of the fanciest and most delicious first courses: pomegranate risotto is perfect for special occasions, but it...
Let’s see the recipe for Poppella snowflakes, a typical dessert of Naples
Let's find out together how to prepare a sweet from Naples, Poppella's Snowflakes: soft and creamy they have bewitched everyone....
The trendiest bijoux to give at Christmas are those of the Ferragni sisters: sparkling and sophisticated collections
Chiara and Valentina Ferragni inspire our looks and also our bijoux. And their jewelry collections stand out among the perfect...
The diet of Victoria’s Secret models is not the same for all: here’s what they eat
What is the Victoria Secret models diet? Always beautiful and in perfect shape, they follow a precise diet. Beautiful and...
Viva Magenta, Pantone’s sparkling color 2023 can’t be missing in your wardrobe: how to wear it
Glamorous and bold, Viva Magenta is the Pantone 2023 color we can't wait to wear A magical, surprising color, full...
Fashion1 week ago
Military green passion: how to combine the most decisive of greens
Fashion1 week ago
Ugg Guard Boots, the waterproof sole that allows us to wear all but all the shoes we want!
Recipes1 week ago
Mousseline cream, a pride of French pastry
Recipes1 week ago
Bucatini alla Caruso, the ingredients of the Neapolitan recipe