Here is the lasagna alla bolognese: the original recipe of the typical dish of the Emilian tradition!
Lasagne alla Bolognese is one of the many baked first courses for which Italians are famous abroad and it seems that they have their roots in Etruscan times . Then taken over by the Romans, over the centuries they have undergone many variations up to the layered lasagne, the ones we know, spreading above all in Northern Italy and in particular in the Emilia Romagna region.
Let's start immediately with the recipe for baked lasagna, but first a curiosity: did you know that November 16th is National Baked Lasagna Day?
How to make lasagna bolognese
The traditional lasagna recipe is not complicated, but for convenience we have decided to divide all the stages of preparation to ensure that the procedure is clear.
Preparing the sauce for lasagna
- 250 g of minced veal
- 250 g of minced pork
- 100 g bacon (stretched or rolled)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 glass of milk
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 1 glass of red wine
- 50 g of butter
- 250 ml of meat broth
- 350 ml pureed tomatoes
- Start with the ragù for the lasagna by cooking the sautéed vegetables in a saucepan: finely chop the onion , carrot and celery and sauté in extra virgin olive oil .
- After a few minutes add the finely chopped pancetta, brown it until it has released all its fat.
- Then add the minced meat working it with a wooden spoon and brown over high heat; when the meat starts to colour, pour in the red wine and let it evaporate .
- Then add the tomato purée, the broth, season with salt and pepper and cook with the lid on for at least 2 hours, adding the milk from time to time and stirring occasionally.
Preparing the spinach puff pastry
- 500 g of flour
- 500 g of spinach
- 4 eggs
- First of all prepare the spinach. Boil salted water in a saucepan and when it comes to a boil, dip the spinach and partially cover with the lid.
- When the spinach is tender, place it in a colander and mash it well with a slotted spoon to let all the liquid out.
- Let them cool and then chop them finely in a mixer.
- Now move on to the pasta. On a work surface, make a well in the flour, eggs and spinach, kneading until you obtain a homogeneous dough and wrap it in plastic wrap for 1 hour.
- After this time, flour a work surface, put your green pasta on it and start flattening it with a rolling pin.
- Take the pasta machine, divide it into 6 equal parts, set the largest number , and start pulling it. After pulling it a couple of times, move on to the next number: continue like this until you get to the smallest number. The dough should be about half a millimeter thick.
- Continue using this method until all the dough is used up. Meanwhile, boil a pot of salted water.
- Dip one sheet at a time and when it rises to the surface, remove it with a slotted spoon, place it on a cloth and helping yourself with another, dab well and leave to cool.
Preparation of the béchamel sauce
- 60 g of butter
- 60 g of flour
- nutmeg to taste
- Salt to taste
- 900ml of milk
- In a saucepan, put the milk over a very low heat without bringing it to a boil.
- Then take another saucepan, always place the flame very low and melt the butter.
- Add the flour and mix with a whisk to prevent lumps from forming.
- When the color of the mixture begins to brown , add the milk slowly and continue to mix with the whisk. Add salt and nutmeg.
- To check the cooking, insert a spoon into the béchamel: when it veils it, it will be ready.
Composition and assembly of lasagna
- Take a baking tray, spread a first layer of sauce and place the first sheets of pasta on it. Now cover with the béchamel, then again with the ragù and finish with a sprinkling of Parmesan .
- Repeat the operation until the pan is almost completely filled, finishing with a final layer of béchamel mixed with the ragù and another handful of Parmesan. You can make as many layers as you want, it also depends on the size of the pan you are using.
- Bake your pasta in the oven, preheated to 160°C, for about 50 minutes , until a golden crust has formed.
Which pasta to use for lasagna
There are different types of pasta to use to prepare this recipe. First of all, it's possible to make a classic egg pasta without spinach : just remove them and proceed as per the recipe. If, on the other hand, you prefer a quick recipe, you can go to the supermarket and buy fresh pasta in the refrigerated counter, or dried pasta on the shelf. As for the first (the fastest), simply remove it from the package and use it to compose the layers : it will be cooked directly in the oven! Instead, as regards the dry one, you will first have to blanch it in water following the instructions indicated on the package.
Lasagne: the quick recipe
Have you changed your mind after this preparation? Prefer something simpler? Know that it is possible to prepare lasagna even in 10 minutes, it will be enough to make some preparations beforehand … or buy them already made. The sheets of egg pasta (not the green ones) are easily found in every supermarket, the ragù instead you can buy it already made and heat it or make it even 1-2 days before assembling (better still prepare it in advance and freeze it in the freezer) . Even the béchamel can be bought already made, however it will only take you a few minutes so we recommend making it at home.
And here we are, in 10 minutes , at the assembly:
1. Put a layer of béchamel at the bottom of the baking dish , then arrange the sheets of pasta and fill it with the hot ragù and some béchamel (you can add a handful of grated Parmesan if you like). Then cover with other sheets of pasta and continue.
2. Continue in this way to stratify up to the last layer where you will put the ragù and the excess béchamel and, if you like, plenty of Parmesan (we like to prepare it with a grater with large holes ).
3. At this point it goes straight into the oven to then be served at a nice hot table.
Keep this traditional dish in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Serve your lasagna bolognese piping hot ! Enjoy your meal! If you love them, discover all the variations with our lasagna recipes .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Fast 5:2 diet – how it works, menu, advantages and disadvantages
Among the most popular diets in the summer period is the 5:2. Let's find out how it works and what...
Chicken Cacciatore in the air fryer
We prepare the delicious chicken Cacciatore in the air fryer, a traditional second course full of good flavours. No more...
How to make artichoke omelette
Artichoke omelette is a wonderful dish and perfect for any occasion: here is the simple recipe for this dream dish!...
S’more, the protagonists of American camping
There's no good camping without some delicious s'mores cooked over the fire. Here's how to prepare the dessert with marshmallows....