We prepare the spitini alla palermitana, a typical product of this area consisting of meat rolls with a genuine filling.
The term spitini indicates the typical meat skewers of Palermo. Originating from this city with an important culinary tradition, they consist of skewers stuck on a large stick, before being breaded and cooked. Their name derives from the long wooden spit that supports them.
The skewers that we present today are a delicious second course , belonging to a long tradition. The original recipe consists of beef roulades that are filled with breadcrumbs, caciocavallo, parsley and onion and, more importantly, raisins and pine nuts .
Are you curious already? Let’s proceed!
Preparation of the recipe for the Palermo spitini
- To begin with, wash and peel the white onion. Cut it into pieces or slices. Do the same with the red one and set it aside.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of oil into the bottom of a non-stick pan and put the white onion inside. Add a handful of breadcrumbs and sauté .
- Next, pour the grated caciocavallo into a bowl. Add the pine nuts, raisins and tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper. Jumbled up.
- To this filling also add the fried onion and breadcrumbs and mix everything .
- In a small container pour more oil and in another some breadcrumbs.
- Take the slices of beef and place them one at a time on a plate. Take some of the filling with a spoon and place it in the center of the slice.
- Wrap it on itself , so as to carefully seal the filling. Pass one at a time in the oil, first, and then in the breadcrumbs, making it adhere well.
- As the Palermo-style rolls are ready, skewer them on the wooden or metal skewer. Alternate them, placing a bay leaf and a piece of onion between one roll and the other.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper and bake at 180 ° C for 25 minutes . Alternatively, fill a pan with a drizzle of oil and fry them for a few minutes on each side .
Differences between meat snacks and street food ones
The recipe just described is a second dish made of meat rolls, but there is another one with the same name. The homonymous bread and ragù spitini are very different. It is a rotisserie product , one of the most loved street food in Sicily. This is also an original preparation of Palermo and consists of skewers made up of layers of bread and layers of ragù and peas (a typical Sicilian product), alternated and stacked on a wooden stick. They are then brushed with béchamel, passed in batter and covered with breadcrumbs. Finally, fry them !
Among the various Sicilian delicious recipes, that of the Sicilian meat rolls is the simplest. The best advice is to consume them right now. Alternatively, you can keep them for 1 day in the fridge .
Another tasty recipe is that of pasta with broccoli arriminati Palermo style .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
There is no Easter breakfast without the Roman regrown pizza
The Easter regrown pizza is a typical product of Rome, prepared for breakfast and stuffed in many ways. The original...
Have you ever tried our gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry?
A very simple recipe to prepare at home for those suffering from intolerances: the gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry will please...
Easter Mazurek, an amazing Polish dessert
Mazurek is a Polish dessert typical of the Easter period made up of a crunchy base stuffed with jam and...
Pastitsio: the super tasty Greek first course
Pastitsio is a typical Greek first course known to be very similar to baked pasta. Here’s how to prepare it...
Crepes without gluten and lactose, the perfect recipe for everyone!
Enjoy a moment of sweet relaxation with delicious gluten-free and lactose-free crepes. We will make you who are intolerant satisfied...