We prepare the spitini alla palermitana, a typical product of this area consisting of meat rolls with a genuine filling.
The term spitini indicates the typical meat skewers of Palermo. Originating from this city with an important culinary tradition, they consist of skewers stuck on a large stick, before being breaded and cooked. Their name derives from the long wooden spit that supports them.
The skewers that we present today are a delicious second course , belonging to a long tradition. The original recipe consists of beef roulades that are filled with breadcrumbs, caciocavallo, parsley and onion and, more importantly, raisins and pine nuts .
Are you curious already? Let’s proceed!
Preparation of the recipe for the Palermo spitini
- To begin with, wash and peel the white onion. Cut it into pieces or slices. Do the same with the red one and set it aside.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of oil into the bottom of a non-stick pan and put the white onion inside. Add a handful of breadcrumbs and sauté .
- Next, pour the grated caciocavallo into a bowl. Add the pine nuts, raisins and tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper. Jumbled up.
- To this filling also add the fried onion and breadcrumbs and mix everything .
- In a small container pour more oil and in another some breadcrumbs.
- Take the slices of beef and place them one at a time on a plate. Take some of the filling with a spoon and place it in the center of the slice.
- Wrap it on itself , so as to carefully seal the filling. Pass one at a time in the oil, first, and then in the breadcrumbs, making it adhere well.
- As the Palermo-style rolls are ready, skewer them on the wooden or metal skewer. Alternate them, placing a bay leaf and a piece of onion between one roll and the other.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper and bake at 180 ° C for 25 minutes . Alternatively, fill a pan with a drizzle of oil and fry them for a few minutes on each side .
Differences between meat snacks and street food ones
The recipe just described is a second dish made of meat rolls, but there is another one with the same name. The homonymous bread and ragù spitini are very different. It is a rotisserie product , one of the most loved street food in Sicily. This is also an original preparation of Palermo and consists of skewers made up of layers of bread and layers of ragù and peas (a typical Sicilian product), alternated and stacked on a wooden stick. They are then brushed with béchamel, passed in batter and covered with breadcrumbs. Finally, fry them !
Among the various Sicilian delicious recipes, that of the Sicilian meat rolls is the simplest. The best advice is to consume them right now. Alternatively, you can keep them for 1 day in the fridge .
Another tasty recipe is that of pasta with broccoli arriminati Palermo style .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Risotto with pomegranate: a rich and colorful dish for special occasions!
It is one of the fanciest and most delicious first courses: pomegranate risotto is perfect for special occasions, but it...
Let’s see the recipe for Poppella snowflakes, a typical dessert of Naples
Let's find out together how to prepare a sweet from Naples, Poppella's Snowflakes: soft and creamy they have bewitched everyone....
The trendiest bijoux to give at Christmas are those of the Ferragni sisters: sparkling and sophisticated collections
Chiara and Valentina Ferragni inspire our looks and also our bijoux. And their jewelry collections stand out among the perfect...
The diet of Victoria’s Secret models is not the same for all: here’s what they eat
What is the Victoria Secret models diet? Always beautiful and in perfect shape, they follow a precise diet. Beautiful and...
Viva Magenta, Pantone’s sparkling color 2023 can’t be missing in your wardrobe: how to wear it
Glamorous and bold, Viva Magenta is the Pantone 2023 color we can't wait to wear A magical, surprising color, full...
Fashion1 week ago
Military green passion: how to combine the most decisive of greens
Fashion1 week ago
Ugg Guard Boots, the waterproof sole that allows us to wear all but all the shoes we want!
Recipes1 week ago
Mousseline cream, a pride of French pastry
Recipes1 week ago
Bucatini alla Caruso, the ingredients of the Neapolitan recipe