Acquacotta is one of the poorest traditional Tuscan soups, prepared with vegetables and enriched with Tuscan bread and eggs.
Today we go to Tuscany to prepare acquacotta, a typical recipe that is mainly enjoyed during the colder seasons. This dish is a kind of onion and tomato soup which is then served with eggs and toasted or toasted Tuscan bread . It was born as a recovery dish to be able to refresh oneself during the winter months, but over time it has become a real symbol of the regional tradition , which today is prepared in many different variations.
In today’s recipe we will prepare traditional acquacotta: try it yourself at home, this soup will bring taste and color to the table!
Preparation of the acquacotta with the original recipe
- First, clean the onions and chop coarsely, then let them wither with two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the celery and chopped tomatoes, then add salt and pepper and let the vegetables cook for about 20 minutes with a lid.
- At this point, add a handful of parsley and continue cooking until the tomatoes have softened. Add the vegetable broth and leave on the heat.
- While you wait for the soup to cook, toast four slices of bread .
- Once the soup is cooked, break four eggs into the pan and add the grated pecorino.
- Serve the acquacotta with mushrooms in single-portion bowls with a slice of bread, ground black pepper and a drizzle of raw extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy your meal!
If you don’t eat all your Maremma acquacotta immediately, know that it can be kept for a couple of days in the fridge . The next day you can reheat it, add the eggs to the top and enjoy it.
How to make acquacotta with mushrooms
How about adding mixed mushrooms, to give a touch of flavor and originality to the cooked water recipe? It will be the perfect variant for autumn and just add 500 g of mixed mushrooms to taste.
- For the preparation, the first thing to do, I will take your mushrooms and clean them with the help of a kitchen cloth and a knife.
- Cut them into slices and leave them aside.
- Proceed with the preparation as indicated and put your mushrooms in the pot together with the tomatoes, cooking them until tender .
Other variations of this Tuscan soup
In addition to the variant with mushrooms, there are many others, as we often find with regional dishes. Instead of vegetable broth , for example, it is possible to use water or a meat broth.
The constants? Eggs and onions cannot be missing, accompanied by a good grating of pepper . The bread, on the other hand, can be stale (and then toasted), fresh, Tuscan, with or without the crust; according to the Viterbo people, however, durum wheat goes there without salt.
Do you love the flavors of this region? Also try the cacciucco alla livornese !
We recommend consuming this soup at the moment or keeping it for a maximum of 1 day in the refrigerator, inside a container with an airtight lid (and better keeping the toast aside). We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
There is no Easter breakfast without the Roman regrown pizza
The Easter regrown pizza is a typical product of Rome, prepared for breakfast and stuffed in many ways. The original...
Have you ever tried our gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry?
A very simple recipe to prepare at home for those suffering from intolerances: the gluten-free vegan shortcrust pastry will please...
Easter Mazurek, an amazing Polish dessert
Mazurek is a Polish dessert typical of the Easter period made up of a crunchy base stuffed with jam and...
Pastitsio: the super tasty Greek first course
Pastitsio is a typical Greek first course known to be very similar to baked pasta. Here’s how to prepare it...
Crepes without gluten and lactose, the perfect recipe for everyone!
Enjoy a moment of sweet relaxation with delicious gluten-free and lactose-free crepes. We will make you who are intolerant satisfied...