Watercress or romagnolo cassone: the typical recipe (not to be confused with piadina)
Romagna watercress is a typical street food of the Region, prepared with the same dough as piadina: here are the ingredients and recipe.
Crescione Romagna, also known by the name of cassone or cascione , depending on the area in which it is located, is a typical Romagna street food made with the same dough as the piadina which, however, is stuffed and closed in a half-moon shape before cooking. You can stuff it as you prefer, but the classics are the stuffing with tomato and mozzarella, potatoes or herbs.
What is the difference between watercress and piadina? Compared to the classic piadina, the watercress is stuffed raw and then closed in half, sealing the edges well with the help of a fork to prevent the filling from coming out during cooking. Here is the step-by-step preparation !
Preparation of Romagna watercress
- First prepare the dough: dissolve the salt (6 g) in the water then sift the flour into a large bowl or directly onto a kitchen cutting board.
- Add the lard, the bicarbonate and, slowly, also the water.
- Start kneading in order to obtain a homogeneous and smooth dough. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, dedicate yourself to preparing the tomato filling : season the tomato puree with a drizzle of oil, salt and oregano and cook it for a few minutes in a saucepan, then turn off the heat and leave to cool.
- Drain the mozzarella from the conservation liquid, cut it into slices and put it in a colander in order to make them lose further from the liquid.
- After the resting time, take the loaf again, divide it into 10-12 loaves of the same weight and roll them out with the help of a rolling pin, trying to obtain round discs, being careful not to puncture them. Stuff each half disc with a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree and mozzarella, leaving 1 cm from the clean edge.
- Brush the edges with a little water and close in a crescent shape, sealing the edges with the prongs of a fork.
- Cook the watercress in a large , very hot non-stick frying pan or on the classic testo from Romagna. Cook for a few minutes on each side, turning the watercress gently. Enjoy your meal!
Alternatively, you can prepare the piadina from Romagna .
Watercress prepared following this recipe can be stored for 1-2 days in the refrigerator , but if you have used fresh ingredients you can also freeze them.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
WHO advises against the use of sweeteners in diets. Let’s find out why!
The WHO has recently updated the guidelines discouraging the use of non-sugar sweeteners. Let's find out why and what are...
Pasta with courgette flowers
Simple and quick, pasta with courgette flowers is a truly delicious first course. Let's find out together how to prepare...
Here is the recipe for grilled swordfish, a delicious second course full of flavors and aromas. Today we are preparing...
Tricolor first course: tomato and burrata pasta
Tomato and burrata pasta is an ideal recipe to serve as a single dish, especially in summer. That's how simple...
June diet: the fresh and creative choice to lose weight
The June diet is a fresh and summery way to lose weight by eating with gusto. Let's find out which...
Health2 months ago
Picacism: what it is, how to recognize it and what are the risks
Fashion2 months ago
Essential and sexy: the new must have for s/s 2023 is the body, an alternative to the mini dress
Recipes2 months ago
Rice balls, an ancient easy Ragusan recipe with photos and videos to prepare them
Recipes2 months ago
Calabrian sardella: what it is and how to prepare the typical spicy sauce