Here is the recipe to replicate the fantastic Zurich cake at home, a Pinerolo dessert with chocolate, nougat, Chantilly cream.
The original Zurich cake recipe is full of history. Created in the 1930s, its inventor was the Master Pastry Chef Castino ; the name of the dessert derives from its homonymous pastry. According to tradition, it was created in honor of Princess Iolanda of Savoy, a regular visitor to the restaurant. After Castino's death, one of his collaborators gave the recipe to the Munich pastry chef Maria, who also took over the business and made this preparation famous throughout Italy.
To date, the recipe has not been made public, but we can deduce its preparation. This typical Italian product consists of two bases of particular chocolate shortcrust pastry , because the dough is made with the addition of milk. The two discs of milk shortcrust pastry are then divided and completely covered with a particular Chantilly cream enriched with nougat . The appearance of the typical dessert of Pinerolo consists of a chocolate flake coating and cherries in alcohol. So get ready for an explosion of goodness!
Preparation of the recipe for the Zurich cake
- Start with the shortcrust pastry base, sift the flour and pour it into a large bowl.
- Take the butter from the fridge (it must be very cold), cut it into pieces and add it to the flour.
- Add a pinch of salt and mix vigorously, to obtain a sandy mixture .
- At this point, add the sugar and incorporate it; then, do the same with the milk, eggs and yeast.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and knead to obtain a homogeneous mixture. Wrap it in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 2 hours .
- At the end, place the dough on a floured work surface. Divide it into two halves and roll out each to obtain two circular sheets of dough, with a diameter of 20 cm (they must be thick enough).
- Grease and flour two cake pans (with a diameter of 20 cm) and, in each, place a disc of dough.
- Bake in the oven at 180 ° C for 20 minutes . When finished, remove from the oven and let it cool.
- To make the filling, start by whipping the liquid cream in a bowl, using an electric mixer.
- In another bowl, pour the custard and then add the whipped cream; mix gently with a spatula.
- Add the rum and the crumbled nougat. Mix to have a creamy and homogeneous mixture.
- Proceed by composing the dessert! On a serving dish, place a disc of dough and cover it with a generous layer of cream.
- Place the second disc and cover it too with the filling, then use it to cover the entire edge. For a more precise result, you can smooth the surface with a flat trowel .
- Take the chocolate and grate it with a knife or a grater , using the flakes to cover the whole cake.
- As a final touch, put the remaining cream in a pastry bag and create some tufts on the top edge of the cake.
- Finally, place a cherry in alcohol (candied ones are fine too) on each sprig. Leave to harden in the fridge until ready to serve.
The Zurich chocolate cake is a typical recipe from Piedmont, really delicious and easy to replicate at home. You can present it on a special occasion and, if left over, keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days , covered with cling film.
Don't miss the fantastic taste of the chocolate puffed rice cake .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
A savory mix of flavors in the famous jambalaya
The term jambalaya indicates a famous Creole dish, typical of Louisiana, full of flavors, including rice, fish, meat and vegetables....
Ankle boots that have no age: the iconic Dr Martens are super trendy even in 2023
To be combined with striped shirts to follow the grunge style and even with elegant dresses, this is how Dr...
Zeppole di Carnevale: don’t call them pancakes!
At Carnival, every fried dish is therefore the go-ahead for our recipe for Carnival donuts: a truly amazing typical dessert....
Stress hyperglycemia: symptoms not to be underestimated
Stress hyperglycemia, like diabetes, should never be underestimated: let's see the symptoms and what to do in situations of this...
Homemade cheese with the Instan Pot: here is the ricotta
A few ingredients are enough to prepare a homemade fresh cheese. Here is the ricotta recipe with the Instant Pot....
Food1 week ago
Vegan diet: useful for the body and for the environment, here’s everything you need to know
Recipes1 week ago
How to cook with ginger: 10 recipes to make the most of it and enhance it
Beauty1 week ago
Sneakers brands: what are their most popular models?
Recipes6 days ago
How to make crepes: the simple video recipe for making the neutral dough (and some tasty inspiration)