Here is the recipe to replicate the fantastic Zurich cake at home, a Pinerolo dessert with chocolate, nougat, Chantilly cream.
The original Zurich cake recipe is full of history. Created in the 1930s, its inventor was the Master Pastry Chef Castino ; the name of the dessert derives from its homonymous pastry. According to tradition, it was created in honor of Princess Iolanda of Savoy, a regular visitor to the restaurant. After Castino's death, one of his collaborators gave the recipe to the Munich pastry chef Maria, who also took over the business and made this preparation famous throughout Italy.
To date, the recipe has not been made public, but we can deduce its preparation. This typical Italian product consists of two bases of particular chocolate shortcrust pastry , because the dough is made with the addition of milk. The two discs of milk shortcrust pastry are then divided and completely covered with a particular Chantilly cream enriched with nougat . The appearance of the typical dessert of Pinerolo consists of a chocolate flake coating and cherries in alcohol. So get ready for an explosion of goodness!
Preparation of the recipe for the Zurich cake
- Start with the shortcrust pastry base, sift the flour and pour it into a large bowl.
- Take the butter from the fridge (it must be very cold), cut it into pieces and add it to the flour.
- Add a pinch of salt and mix vigorously, to obtain a sandy mixture .
- At this point, add the sugar and incorporate it; then, do the same with the milk, eggs and yeast.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and knead to obtain a homogeneous mixture. Wrap it in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 2 hours .
- At the end, place the dough on a floured work surface. Divide it into two halves and roll out each to obtain two circular sheets of dough, with a diameter of 20 cm (they must be thick enough).
- Grease and flour two cake pans (with a diameter of 20 cm) and, in each, place a disc of dough.
- Bake in the oven at 180 ° C for 20 minutes . When finished, remove from the oven and let it cool.
- To make the filling, start by whipping the liquid cream in a bowl, using an electric mixer.
- In another bowl, pour the custard and then add the whipped cream; mix gently with a spatula.
- Add the rum and the crumbled nougat. Mix to have a creamy and homogeneous mixture.
- Proceed by composing the dessert! On a serving dish, place a disc of dough and cover it with a generous layer of cream.
- Place the second disc and cover it too with the filling, then use it to cover the entire edge. For a more precise result, you can smooth the surface with a flat trowel .
- Take the chocolate and grate it with a knife or a grater , using the flakes to cover the whole cake.
- As a final touch, put the remaining cream in a pastry bag and create some tufts on the top edge of the cake.
- Finally, place a cherry in alcohol (candied ones are fine too) on each sprig. Leave to harden in the fridge until ready to serve.
The Zurich chocolate cake is a typical recipe from Piedmont, really delicious and easy to replicate at home. You can present it on a special occasion and, if left over, keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days , covered with cling film.
Don't miss the fantastic taste of the chocolate puffed rice cake .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Fast 5:2 diet – how it works, menu, advantages and disadvantages
Among the most popular diets in the summer period is the 5:2. Let's find out how it works and what...
Torta Bertolda, the country dessert of Lombardy
The Bertolda cake is the recipe to make at home if you don't know which dessert to prepare for breakfast....
How to marinate lamb
Here's how to marinate lamb: a very ancient technique that serves to enhance the flavors of the meat and keep...
Baked rice and cabbage pie: a delicious (and gluten-free) single dish
The rice and cabbage pie is a tasty and inviting single dish, here are all the (very easy) steps to...
Water apple cake
Recipe and tips for preparing a perfect water apple pie: taste and lightness in every bite. It is a real...