Let's find out how to make homemade raw ham like real butchers and thus have a top quality product available.
Raw ham is perhaps one of the most popular cold cuts in the world but there are very few who have decided to tackle all the stages of its preparation at home. Yet until a few years ago it was not something so obsolete. So, if you are one of the few who have wondered how to make raw ham, get ready, because once you discover how simple the process is you will not be able to resist the temptation.
In fact, the preparation of raw ham is not complex but requires space and time . Space for draining and seasoning and time always for the latter. In fact, it is this step that gives the product its flavor and its characteristic consistency. The part of the pig necessary for the preparation of raw ham is the thigh but be prepared: it must be pretty big!
How to prepare the raw ham recipe
- First, get a 12-13 kg pork leg and hang it upside down in the refrigerator so that all the blood contained in the vena cava drains out. If you don't have an empty fridge, you can ask the butcher to leave the thigh in its cell and go and retrieve it later.
- Now, with a sharp knife, finish the thigh by removing some of the fat and giving it the characteristic shape. Attention to two aspects: do not damage the bone and do not remove for any reason the ball-shaped bone near the femur.
- Get plenty of fine sea salt and salt the ham in every point, massaging it well so that it absorbs it.
- From the lean part also cover with plenty of ground black pepper. Then let it rest on a slightly inclined surface with the lean part facing upwards. After a week in this position, repeat the salting and peppering operations.
- Let a total of 20 days pass, then wash it with warm water and dry it.
- Cover the part near the bone with lard.
- Put it to mature in a ventilated place with a constant temperature of 9 ° C for 2 months after which your ham is ready to be eaten.
As you have seen, it takes patience to prepare it but the result will be nothing short of amazing. Try it in our recipes with raw ham !
The raw ham can be kept for a very long time in the same conditions as the seasoning.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Military green passion: how to combine the most decisive of greens
Reassuring and decisive, military green is a trendy nuance again this winter: here's how it goes, even crazy! Bold, determined,...
Purple potatoes must absolutely be included in the diet: here are the reasons
If you've never tried them, purple potatoes taste really great. Not only that, they also bring many benefits to the...
Bucatini alla Caruso, the ingredients of the Neapolitan recipe
Bucatini alla Caruso are a simple first course prepared with genuine ingredients typical of the Campania region. Here is the...
Mousseline cream, a pride of French pastry
Similar to custard, mousseline cream is enriched with a fair amount of butter. Here is the recipe. France is famous...
Bach flowers: a natural remedy for colds and flu
Bach flowers are valid natural remedies for colds and flu: let's see which ones to use against these diseases. Like...
Recipes1 week ago
How to make mascarpone cream: the classic recipe and with the Thermomix!
Recipes5 days ago
Reinforcement salad: a Christmas dish of the Neapolitan tradition
Recipes1 week ago
For Sunday lunch, here are the artichoke crêpes
Recipes1 week ago
Baked hake with cherry tomatoes and olives: recipe for a tasty second course